Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'96 Bayou 300. I recently bought this and cleaned carb, new plug clean entire fuel system (tank, petkok filters, carb).

It was running fine till this morning. I choked it, hit the button and it started on the first couple turns of the starter. But then I ran it out of fuel by forgetting to turn the petkok to ON. It stalled out. Then would not restart.

I let it sit as I thought I flooded it. Wife tried 20 minutes later and I think she flooded it again.

Since then, it will not start or even attempt to. I have pulled the plug and cleaned it up, it was a little wet. I let it sit for an hour or so with the plug out.

I drained the fuel bowl and got good looking gas. Made sure there was gas coming out of the fuel line, yes.

While the plug was out I stuck my thumb over the plug hole in the head and cranked it over. I got good compression (i don't have a compression tester). I checked the spark by grounding the plug against the head. Here's the weird part. I only get spark when I let off the starter button, and as soon as the engine stops turning, the sparks stop (of course). So, the only spark I get is about 2-3 sparks every time I let off the start button.

I thought maybe the battery was low and cranking the motor was draining the voltage down too far for good spark, so I used jumper cables to my pickup. It spun over faster but did not start or even sound like it was trying. Any ideas?

·
Never quite fixed.
496 Posts
IIRC this is a problem with the battery being too low. When you press the starter button, the voltage dips down enough so there can't be any spark, and when you let off, it jumps back up again.

Have you tried starting it with the pull start?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
hello ,well what mrgiggles said and also a bad connection's on the coil,or the coil is goin out.but make sure the battery is fully charged up and go to the next steps of checkin the connection's at the coil.

there will be 2 wires at the coil take em apart and clean em up with a electrical parts cleaner.thenapplie a db of di electric grease to the connecters and put it back together.

then if still does it replace the coil

hope this helps you out -corey-

p.s these machines dont like to be jumped with a auto battery/cables it puts to much amps to it and it can blow the cdi and or regulater out.:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, here's an update. I now have good, strong spark. I cleaned the coil terminals and cut off the tip of the spark plug wire and reattached the spark plug boot. Still no start.

I can't try the pull start as the rope and handle is gone. I have a new one on the way. And a new brake drum and all new seals, bearings, etc, etc.

I guess I'll have to go back into the carb again as the spark plug always looks wet after some cranking, even when the choke is not used. And I will try to get a compression tester to double check compression. The compression release lever came partially out of its hole because the keeper bolt is missing. Don't know if it could have bent a valve maybe? I put it back in and it is working normally.

Yeah, this thing needs some TLC. Many small things need fixed up.

I know this atv will be a lot of fun once I get this ironed out. My first atv and it was supposed to be a Christmas gift for the kids (and me) (and wife). I had all the gifts strapped to the back rack and drove up to the back door Saturday morning (our Christmas morning). That's when the Bayou shut off and hasn't run since. I spent my Christmas day wrenching on this thing and it still won't run. A little disappointing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Shadetree Mech
142 Posts
Have you checked the eng. kill switch ? It may have a short in it as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try pull startin it by havin someone pull you its an auto clutch so shift untill your about in third gear hold up and when your at the right speed drop it down and see what she does.
I know it may be hard on stuff but when my battery was dead and my pull rope was gone thats how i started mine for a while

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
id go back to the carb now and check it all over and get that bolt replaced for the decompression lever .

now you have spark again,start at the basics.-corey-

·
Great being back
181 Posts
Plugs sometimes won't fire correctly after being flooded. Replace the plugs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help.

I ordered a carb kit today. I will also check continuity of the kill switch.

I tried starting it while I was being towed to the garage with the pickup truck, no go.

I'll post again when I get some more time on it, holidays and all, it will be about a week till I get another chance to look at it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
well if you have spark the kill switch is good.
good luck on the repair,and also get your self a compression tester,they are cheap and itll come in handy for a no run condition dionostic.-corey-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AND RUSTYDOG IS THE WINNER!!

It turns out I apparently had a bad spark plug!! Go figure. It was pretty new, installed by previous owner, but I put in a new Autolite and installed a carb kit and she takes off at a touch of the starter button. Runs great!! I actually got to ride it around the house today!

Thanks for all the help, folks! Now on to replacing all wheel bearings and seals and brakes and....

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
p.s these machines dont like to be jumped with a auto battery/cables it puts to much amps to it and it can blow the cdi and or regulater out.:(
Jumping is fine as long as the car's engine is not running and the cables are connected in the proper order (frame ground on the ATV connected last, disconnected first).

·
Registered
4 Posts
IIRC this is a problem with the battery being too low. When you press the starter button, the voltage dips down enough so there can't be any spark, and when you let off, it jumps back up again.

Have you tried starting it with the pull start?
I am have the zam problem with my 91 Kawasaki 300 bayou .....i have tried the rope start and still the same thing ....what else could it be

1 - 14 of 14 Posts