Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
In my own little world
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI.
Im buying a bike in MD and wanna ride home to FL. I'll only have a bill of sale, signed title and ins. Is this legal?
I cant register in FL without the title in hand and a review for VIN at the DMV

The previous owner does not want to have the plate go with. I agree, but
Can he leave the plate if he has sold the bike so I can get home?

PS_ I am buying a stocker kz1000p, so I may get a little slack, but a piece of cardboard saying "be happy-I could be behind you" for a plate may not get me home. I AM not an LEO or a poser, I just dig the scoot and have a sense of humor

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Check with your home state DMV website. In Va we can get a "Trip Permit" via the DMV website & good for 3 days for $5 for just such a situation. I just bought one to get me home 3 weeks ago when I lost my plates in Fl.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
You may get the seller to agree to leave his plate on if you agree to ship it back to him. that would be his discretion though.

When I bought my buell in Alabama, I rode it home to NC. AL does not issue temporary tags. if you are driving around with no tag, it's assumed that it's because you have not received yours yet.

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
You may get the seller to agree to leave his plate on if you agree to ship it back to him. that would be his discretion though.

When I bought my buell in Alabama, I rode it home to NC. AL does not issue temporary tags. if you are driving around with no tag, it's assumed that it's because you have not received yours yet.
Actually Dave - that's not correct. When I sold my Meanie to a guy from NY, we went to the local DMV and he got a temp tag (the thing was huge though, so we had to make it fit on there).

My understanding is - leaving the previous tag on the bike/vehicle is actually worse than no tag at all. I always understood that to be a violation. The owner should never leave the tag on there.

Basically, my understanding is: If you drive the vehicle, then you need a temp tag. Otherwise, plan to haul it. Someone feel free to correct this if it's not correct.

·
In my own little world
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, Ive been scratching my head on this one. You ALL are correct- within the confines of your state. I cant get a temp from FL, and am researching MD. I'll work it out, but it would be nice to know for sure.

The ride from MD to FL on a "just bought it" bike will be an adventure anyway, but Id prefer it not take a wrong turn legally if I can avoid it. Mechanical, weather- I can handle. (U haul can solve either)

Tickets, bail bonds, and interstate paperwork hassles just suck.

Thanks for the welcome, Im glad to find this place. I can already see its a wise choice.

Pics- I gotta pay up before I put it up. I cant put up other people's bike up here as mine. Its like wearin' someone elses underwear.....

Gottmoore

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
You will like your KZ1000P, good power, comfortable, and not like everyone elses bike.
I have not seen another one while riding mine, plus everone has a KZ story to tell you.

Greg58

·
Super Moderator
11,095 Posts
If it'll help, I still have the temporary tag from Jan '08 when I bought my FJR. Several buddies have used it to get bikes home without raising suspicions. PM me your address and I'll mail it to you. At least you'll have something back there for LEOs to see.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
My understanding is - leaving the previous tag on the bike/vehicle is actually worse than no tag at all. I always understood that to be a violation. The owner should never leave the tag on there.
+1.

A lot of states consider that fraud and assess a fine - or arrest you.

Besides, I would never, ever give someone my old plates. That makes me liable if they do something stupid on the bike. Not only that, there's only a short period of time when I can return them to the DMV and not be hit with a penalty.

·
In my own little world
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@ rbentnail- thanks man, that's really cool, but I will pass. I cant even think of how to explain that one. I'll stick with the "no50" cardboard sign

@greg58- same year as yours, and I have heard exactly the same from others. I havent seen one either here in FL other than in duty service. I have a buddy that rode one for 8 years. He can't wait till I get mine so he can take it for a spin :confused: He never lets me ride his H-Dpolice.....What is up with that??????? I even promised not to hit the lights and siren 8)

Anyway what ever info I get from Md, I will pass along. I would think it would be pretty standard between states, but its more governmental than common sense

·
In my own little world
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@NCDave- yep , I ve had offers, but Im not putting them in more trouble than its worth. I can find a resonable solution, Im sure.

Picture this
LEO-excuse me sir, but this plate does not match the description or VIN. Is this a stolen plate?
me_ NO! I figured it would look legal, (better) and my buddy said he didn't mind.
LEO -Of course, that makes perfect sense. Dont worry, anyone who rides around on a retired cop bike is OK with me. (NOT) Can we call you friend?
me- well ok
LEo- Great. I'll let him know how happy we are to have him stop on by! While he's here, He can bail you out and get his citation at the same time for his no license plate bike. Wink, wink, we know it isnt stolen, right???? As for our (your former) bike, we needed donations for the department...
me- gee that's great. Im sure my buddy will no doubt appreciate the humor in this.......thanks

HMMM

·
Registered
466 Posts
There was a time in md not sure if ok now that you could have the person who bought your vehicle use your tags for ten days with written permission. Your best bet is to contact the md mva and get the correct info. It could be very costly if you get stopped on the way and not have the proper paperwork.

·
In my own little world
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you!
I have been researching the MD MV laws. I think I found the article that allows what you are describing, but Im not a lawyer.

I just want to ride. This legal crap is almost enough to take the stiff right out of my .....

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
Ride it without the plates. As long as you are not speeding or driving recklessly, You have everything you need to explain to a reasonable traffic officer the situation if you get stopped. Or...bring it home on a trailer.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
+1.

A lot of states consider that fraud and assess a fine - or arrest you.

Besides, I would never, ever give someone my old plates. That makes me liable if they do something stupid on the bike. Not only that, there's only a short period of time when I can return them to the DMV and not be hit with a penalty.
You have to return your old plates? I've got a bunch of old plates kicking around the garage and no idea how many I have thrown away...lol.

·
In my own little world
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And the official reply is........

Jerrysea gets the gold star for the day. I wont get into the details, but as long as the seller says its ok, I can ride home on the current tags. I have to turn them back to him, and YES he has to turn them into the state.

the MD DMV peeps told me no tag, bad idea-fake tag, worse idea

Im hoping this is the worst part of the trip, Its already behind me.

thanks to all for the support

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.