Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To grill, or not to grill.. that is the question.. (and I’m not talkin BBQ) :tongue:

When I purchased my meanie from the original owner, it came with the chrome kawi radiator grill made by Mapam installed. I took it off just to see what it looked like about a week ago. I'm kinda liking the look without the grill, but I just wanted to see what you guys' opinions on it were. Lets hear what you think!

Here are two comparison pics:

(the 900 Custom in this pic belongs to fellow forum member SlickPaint)

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
To grill, or not to grill.. that is the question.. (and I’m not talkin BBQ) :tongue:

When I purchased my meanie from the original owner, it came with the chrome kawi radiator grill made by Mapam installed. I took it off just to see what it looked like about a week ago. I'm kinda liking the look without the grill, but I just wanted to see what you guys' opinions on it were. Lets hear what you think!

Here are two comparison pics:

(the 900 Custom in this pic belongs to fellow forum member SlickPaint)

With a grill of course, but buy a nicer grill instead! :mrgreen:
(Don't like the free ad with the big "K" on it... )

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Without.

Besides, the chrome grill instantly seems to take all the color out of your bike. :lol:

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts
Better without the grill. It looks classier to me. All the grill does is look like a pimp downtown when he smiles (not all grills but this one is VERY LARGE). But as always with these thinks it is purely a matter of your preference. I'm called nutz cause I have saddlebags on a custom. I needed em so that is the way it is. Do what you like and salute the rest of us with the middle finger if we dont like it. That is what bikes are about!8)

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
Another vote for without it.......

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
Without the grill. The whole point of the radiator being black and the same color as the frame is to keep it from standing out so you kinda look past it and not at it. Putting a grill reminds me of this:

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the opinions! Sounds like most of you feel the same way I do.

I'm wondering how it would look if I paintmatched the stock radiator frame silver like the bike..

I'll definitely be adding one of those chin spoilers to it at some point.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
My god you're all boring in here... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
That's 8 against me... am I really that bad a designer? :p

When did stock grill become so interesting? :cool:

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
BTW way Dragon, that's a beautiful Meanie and great shot angle on the pic. (without the grille of course) Do you get any function out of the fly screen? It sure looks sharp on the bike.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm having the same quandry on my 900 Classic. Do or don't. I'm pretty much decided on "don't" simply because I think the blacked out look around the radiator adds to a little "sportier" look. Besides there's enuff chrome on it now to blind me when I'm detailing it as is. :shock:

·
Year Round Rider
203 Posts
Tone it down

You could always paint the grill in certain areas to tone it down a little, just an idea. This way you still have protection to the rad w/out the attention grabbing look.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I 'de say without as the chrome kinda takes away from the rest of the bike.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Thanks for all the opinions! Sounds like most of you feel the same way I do.

I'm wondering how it would look if I paintmatched the stock radiator frame silver like the bike..

I'll definitely be adding one of those chin spoilers to it at some point.
I wouldn't paint-match it. I think, personally, on the Meanies, the rad-covers in general, just stick out like a sore thumb.

Now, paint-matching a chin spoiler looks really good on the Meanies...

·
'01 1500 Classic FI
1,163 Posts
The grill clutters up the clean lines of your meanie. It
doesn't flow with the overall design theme. It's as if
you're waking around with a makeup mirror hanging
off your neck.

Personally, I'd rather save my money for road trips as
opposed to buying useless chrome crap like grills.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts