Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a feel for the life of the original Yuasa sealed battery? Mine is 2+ years and with winter coming, I just want to be prepared (I do carry cycle jumper cables on trips).

Also, if you bought a new Yuasa sealed battery for your 1500, did you beat $80? If so, where?

T-man

·
Registered
837 Posts
old man winter can get even the newest of batterys...if it aint broke..dont fix it.i have had brand new batterys go to **** with winter showing it better side.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if youve kept it charged (running batteries dead is hard on them) and its not low on water then 3-5yrs is doable without a problem. :wink: also just because the lid had no place to pry it off again does NOT mean you cant add DISTILLED water if necessary.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Going to state the obvious here just in case.... if you're not riding in the winter, get a trickle charger, remove the batt, and hook it up. It'll greatly increase your batt's longevity.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dickwol, that is a very good price compared to local dealer.

One thing about adding distilled water - I read that the OEM Yuasa is a sealed, maintenance free battery and that adding water is not recommended because it actually is a gell cell type battery.

I just wondered how long I could expect this battery to last. I ride year round here in TN and it stays charged up. Just wonder if normal life is 3 or 4 years or more like my original auto battery on my old 78 Mercury, (7 years).

T-man

·
Registered
710 Posts
T-Man
A practical rule of thumb for a bike battery (sealed) would put it's life span at between 3 and 4 years. During this time you can keep it in optimum condtion via the battery tender. Even down south there are down times in riding because of inclement weather, vacations, sickness etc. A battery tender does very nicely here and there is no need to remove the battery, especially if your bike is in a garage. Personally, 3 years is my arbitrary limit on keeping a battery. Beyond this I would never fully trust it's dependability. Having you'r bike battery go dead on some remote road far away from home and help is just not worth it to me. With a car I might wait until I experience some problems, difficulty starting etc befor dropping in a new battery but with my bike, no way. It just is not worth the hassle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts