Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing special as far as bikes go. They definitely are nothing like Kawi's...no comparison there. Just a pair of Chinese Honda knockoffs, but sufficient for teaching the boys how to ride, and to have a little fun in the dirt without going into debt in the process. I've even ridden them around a bit just to see how they run...they're a bit rough running, but they do run. For the $600 I paid for the pair, the investment has already paid off for me in laughs and fun watching our two oldest knuckleheads try riding in the snow! It's supposed to warm up this week, so hopefully by the weekend we'll be able to see what they can do in some mud.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think their paperwork says they're "Flywing Black widows" or something to that affect. I got them from an older gent who listed them on craigslist...he was moving and was willing to take my admittedly lowball offer. We were originally only going to get one bike - probably a used Yamaha or Honda in the range of 80-110 cc's. But that still would have likely cost more than what I paid for this pair of 100cc 4-strokers.

The build quality is what you would expect from chinese knockoffs like this, but I figure that they'll suffice for now. If my boys stick with dirt riding, I'll move them up to something else.

·
T,J&R 4ever
1,369 Posts
they look good and at that price how can you go wrong

·
Registered
272 Posts
Cool.

China knock off or not, those would have been state of the art when I was a kid. I would have given my....well....I woulda given a lot for one of them.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
That is really cool! Bet their eyes lit-up when they saw those! Good on you ... DAD!

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
How great is that? They're going to have a blast, especially after all this crappy snow melts. :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
those bikes are great for beginners.... but be careful! a lot of these cheap Chinese bikes have a habit of vibrating to pieces. take the seat and tank off... then proceed to check all the main bolts and nuts. A guy i used to know imported a lot of the Chinese BMW knock-offs with side cars. He used to have them stripped, inspected, and re-tightened. After that there was no dramas :smile: I hope the boys have many hours of fun learning the joys of riding a motorcycle :smile:

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
You's a good Daddy! Hope you get a lot of time to enjoy watching your boys ride their new toys!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Those will probably be good bikes for them to learn some wrenching on too.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Maybe they need a shot of SeaFoam in the gas to help clen up the fuel system.

And the fun begins!

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
those bikes are great for beginners.... but be careful! a lot of these cheap Chinese bikes have a habit of vibrating to pieces. take the seat and tank off... then proceed to check all the main bolts and nuts. A guy i used to know imported a lot of the Chinese BMW knock-offs with side cars. He used to have them stripped, inspected, and re-tightened. After that there was no dramas :smile: I hope the boys have many hours of fun learning the joys of riding a motorcycle :smile:
Yeah I noticed a few loose nuts and bolts after I picked them up, which I tightened up. I figure I should look them over every few rides just to be sure. They seem to be pretty simple machines - shouldn't be too tough to reasonably maintain. Hopefully I won't need parts, as I haven't been able to locate any distributors. They both have cracked plastic in a couple spots, but I figure that's not such a big deal. I fully expect that they'll have a few more cracks before all is said and done. :smile:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe they need a shot of SeaFoam in the gas to help clen up the fuel system.

And the fun begins!
That's probably a good idea! One of them runs particularly rough. I figured that once it's above freezing I'll take the time to clean out the carbs. A lil seafoam may help quite a bit though...probably can't hurt either way!

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cool beans ben. looks like they may be heading down that road of 2 wheels.

when will the snow melt???:mad:
Not soon enough! I'm so sick of the cold and snow already!
They're calling for mid 40's today and 50's for the rest of the week. Right now my thermometer says 28*, and it doesn't feel like it's gonna warm up to anywhere near 40 today. :mad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts