Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my new 2008 Nomad came in, and I LOVE how smooth a ride it is. I like the gear ratios much better than the 900LT I traded in, I like the lower rpm's at highway speed. And, being nearly 200 pounds heavier, it is a much smoother ride, and quieter.

Now, my question: There is a slight, slight shudder when accelerating. Nothing major, but I can feel it. My first thought was that something was out of balance (tire?), but as soon as I reach my target speed (3-5 seconds) and let off the throttle a bit, the shudder disappears. Is this fairly normal? This is the first shaft-drive that I have ever owned. My neighbor told me that the rear end would raise up when gunning it, but that there was nothing noticeably different between shaft and belt. For the most part, he is right. Once I get to speed, I cannot tell any difference. But, for a few seconds, I can feel that slight shudder when the speed is climbing and the torque is pushing me back...then it stops when I roll back on the throttle.

So, worry or don't worry?

Thanks.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Is this feeling similar to what you get if you lug the engine at low rpms? Does it do this no matter how high you wind it?

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm....good question. I don't know. I will check, but I am leaving early a.m. for several days, so it will be a while before I can test it.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Mine doesn't do that. My experience falls in line with what your neighbor said.. other than rear end raising a little when gunning it, I noticed no difference between the shaft on my meanie compared to the belt on my previous 900.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
It's pretty much normal for the big twin. But, you could be lugging it a bit. Try downshifting before accelerating. These big Vulcans like to rev. I don't shift out of third until around 60mph. Remember 4th and 5th are both overdrives.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
It's pretty much normal for the big twin. But, you could be lugging it a bit. Try downshifting before accelerating. These big Vulcans like to rev. I don't shift out of third until around 60mph. Remember 4th and 5th are both overdrives.
X2,

This was the hardest thing for me to get used to when I first bought my 1600. I came from running a ZX-12R and was able to cruise around at low RPMS and when I would whack the throttle the bike would go. With the 1600 I had to get used to no lugging it when I was at a lower RPM and trying to accelorate fast.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's pretty much normal for the big twin. But, you could be lugging it a bit....
I got home yesterday from a 10-day trip on a chartered bus with 14 high school seniors. I got to ride today and play with the throttle a bit. I rode some 70 miles that included lots of stop-and-gos just for this purpose.

I am thinking it is simply the difference between the belt-drive and the shaft-drive, which would make it completely normal. When I twist the throttle, I notice it until it gets up to speed and I back off. Also, when revved up fairly high, I notice it again when I let off the throttle (using the same shaft-drive to decelerate). As I stated earlier, once I get to the speed I want, there is no shimmy whatsoever. Lugging the engine makes the shimmy more noticeable. I'm chalking it up to never having a shaft-drive before. It is not dangerous nor even distracting - simply a slight shimmy or shiver.

I am happy.

I've said it before, but what a smooth ride!!!

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
One thing that you want to make sure it is not... a single cylinder miss that only occurs under load. This can sometimes feel like a shudder. Listen to the exhaust tone "very carefully" for any slight change in note when it happens.
The sound can sometimes give a clue.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
OldDog...have you checked the rear tire pressure and if so...what's it at? Many set their rear tire pressure at 40psi.

Another couple of things to check for is proper drive shaft lube and rear hub oil. Checking the rear hub oil is simple enough by removing the large nut on the side while the bike is sitting level. For the drive shaft spline lube you'll have to peel back the rubber boot at the front of the shaft to get at the small pin that releases the shaft to allow it to be moved backward. Be very careful not to let it go flying away as it's spring loaded and will disappear in a split second if it gets away. In the past there was never enough lube on the drive spline from the factory so it's wise to check that along with the other things mentioned.

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
I didn't bother to red the other posts but here is what I believe you are experiencing. Most Big engine riders ride in to high of a gear and don't down shift to accelerate. Remember 5th is for cruising. I often go straight from third to 5th at around 80 when coming up a ramp. Same for missing third and going to fourth by revving the engine higher in second. Let the engine run at a righer RPM vs luggin in a lower.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took a short ride today, and I have a 275 mile trip coming up Saturday. I think everything will be fine. I am getting used to it more each time out.

You guys are correct about the engine revving higher and lugging less. It definitely makes a difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ride 39 fron 42 rear. I would not like the feel of the front at 32 psi.
Some jacking is normal with shaft drive. The shudder sounds like you are lugging it some. I can ride around town all day in 3rd gear. try stretching your shifts out.

If you are planning to take it to the dealer for the 600 mile service though, make sure you ask all those questions. You never know.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
I don't have a shaft but my good fried does. He has a VTX 1800 and I get the same feeling when accelerating and sometimes when decelerationg too. His shaft has some weights glued to it from factory so i'm sure is just a little missed balance. Nothing to worrie about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts