Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a silver 2003 meanstreak. The tank has a small dent from a fall over. The small dent is approximately 1/8 inch deep by 3 inches long. The cost to replace the tank by Kawi is $ 950.00. Can anyone recommend a quality motorcycle paint and repair shop to fix and paint the dent. $950.00 dollars seems like a lot of money for such a small problem. Believe it or not most of the places online that I could find seemed to be advertising custom expensive paint jobs geared towards harleys etc... Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
605 Posts
As long as you don't post once and never come back...

I've heard of buying a piece of dry ice the size of the dent or larger and applying it until you have a layer of frost on the dent, then putting it in sunlight for a minute and if it's small enough it will pop out,

Guys I've never tried this, I've just heard about it so don't rip my head off if I'm wrong, however if I'm write feel free to complement me :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
klinker, Welcome, Where on the east coast are you?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

you are correct stuart - it will work on small dents with no creases :wink:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Where can I buy dry ice? I got to try this. Not on my bike though :lol:
I am a automotive panter so I we always have sheet metal laying around. Sounds good but I am wondering if and how dirrect sunlight would be enough heat fot the metal to expand?

·
Registered
458 Posts
MotoLappa said:
Sounds good but I am wondering if and how dirrect sunlight would be enough heat fot the metal to expand?
FedEx the dry ice and the part here.

I'll stick it out in my driveway at noon. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
reply to Motolappa

In response to your question on where I live on the east coast. I am from Western Massachusetts.

·
Registered
309 Posts

I'll stick it out in my driveway at noon. :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Not sure if I follow you. Does this mean you are doing it or have done it?

·
Registered
458 Posts
MotoLappa said:

I'll stick it out in my driveway at noon. :lol: :lol:

Not sure if I follow you. Does this mean you are doing it or have done it?[/quote]

Just making a joke. Notice my location. :wink:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sorry ipscshooter, It has been a long day. I get it now. :lol:

·
Registered
458 Posts
No problem. Happens to all of us. I have been accused of having a "dry" sense of humor. Go figure. 8)

·
Registered
605 Posts
:)

It's not that it needs to be in direct sunlight I'm pretty sure, but it does help, because dry ice is extremely cold in the first place.

I have a few minor ones that I'm going to try this on tomorrow when I get home from work, I'll get back to you on where I get my dry ice/how to make it & how things go with the tank, i'll get before and after pics too.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Stuart, Let us know. I find this very interesting. I wonder if paintless dent shops use this method on minor dings. I am going over to our recon dept. tomorrow and ask the paintless dent guy if he has ever tried or done it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dry ice

Although I find the dry ice approach an interesting concept, I think I will try it out on a piece of sheet metal I will dent myself for the experiment. I am not a confident this works better than the ding king products on the infomercials.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Dry ice

Sounds like an interesting solution to a tank dent....Half of the vintage bikes I looked at to buy had small dents in the tank. ...Word of caution..dry ice can burn your hands if you don't use gloves to handle it. Just be careful!!!!! I would be interested to know if it works too

Heather

·
Registered
19 Posts
fixing body dents

I have tried dry ice on body dents and used the paintless dent fixers and my experience is the dry ice doesn't work. It seems to help when the ice is in place and just after removing it but in my case the metal returned to the dented shape. I had very good results with the Dent Doctor here in Louisville , Ky where they even fixed body dents across a crease in the side. Perfect, and while I waited too. $40 a dent. Can't hurt to let them look at it. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts