Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue since I change out the dot 3 fluid in my disk brake reservoir on my KZ305CRS... The screws were srtiped and I had to drill them out and after all the work was done the paint is coming off. It seems as if it is changing to some sort of sludge and I am going to have to strip it bare and re-paint... Anyone done this before? Tell me what paint you used.

·
Registered
37 Posts
OMG!! Your m/c is peeling!!!! Sorry,but you sound like one of my daughters.They all bubble when brake fluid hits them.What I did to all the ones I have is take the master cylinder off the handlebar and bring it to the kitchen sink.Get the faucet water as hot as you can and give it a serious rinse.Turn on your oven to about 250 degrees>>Get the M/C extra special clean>>> Once it's good and warm and dry(hot water will dry it.)<< get some good ENAMEL paint.Not the Yuppie,PC paint but real enamel. Lacquer is even better and give the thing a good coat.Stick it in your 250 degree oven for <5 minutes.Pull it out and give it another coat of enamel.Stick it back into the heat and after 10 minutes> it should be dry to touch.This is the best you'll get without powder coat.

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
If you are really worried about the paint stripping effect of Dot 3 brake fluid, totally flush your brake fluid and replace with DOT 5 (silicone). I use Silicone brake fluid in several of my bikes - if you spill that stuff on your paint, it makes for a nice shiny polish...

There are pros and cons of DOT 5 - but as long as you flush the fluid every year or so, it's very very good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are really worried about the paint stripping effect of Dot 3 brake fluid, totally flush your brake fluid and replace with DOT 5 (silicone). I use Silicone brake fluid in several of my bikes - if you spill that stuff on your paint, it makes for a nice shiny polish...
I am a bit concerned about any seals and what the dot 5 could do to the brake system which was designed for the dot 3 fluid: I believe my Harley uses dot 5 but it is kinda like the synthetic oil thing... Newer engines are designed for synthetic oils and synthetic blend oils, and I would not use a 5w 30 wt oil in a newer engine. I just don't know about using the newer dot 5 fluid in an older system, a system that was designed for dot 3...
As for the dot 5 I go 2 seasons before a system flush in my HD. I believe the manual states after so many miles but one person may ride 4 times more in a riding season than another, hence I chose riding season. I am like that in my truck: I change oil with the change of the seasons. Kinda old school I guess...

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
I am a bit concerned about any seals and what the dot 5 could do to the brake system which was designed for the dot 3 fluid: I believe my Harley uses dot 5 but it is kinda like the synthetic oil thing... Newer engines are designed for synthetic oils and synthetic blend oils, and I would not use a 5w 30 wt oil in a newer engine. I just don't know about using the newer dot 5 fluid in an older system, a system that was designed for dot 3...
As for the dot 5 I go 2 seasons before a system flush in my HD. I believe the manual states after so many miles but one person may ride 4 times more in a riding season than another, hence I chose riding season. I am like that in my truck: I change oil with the change of the seasons. Kinda old school I guess...
DOT 5 will not harm any of the rubber components. I run DOT 5 in restored Z1's and similar because I don't want any chance of spilling DOT 3 on expensive to replace paintwork.

I trust my life to it in my 'slightly modified' z1 that's now 1200cc and turbocharged.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Found a really good website that deals with brake fluids, here's a couple of tidbits followed by the link.

DOT 3/4
So important is this fluid replacement point that vehicle manufacturers have traditionally called for a maximum of a two year period of use of the fluid. By that time, the fluid will have started to turn golden, then light brown, indicating that it has absorbed progressively more moisture. Eventually, if left unchanged beyond the recommended service interval, the fluid will become dark brown, indicating high amounts of water absorption and thus badly contaminated fluid.
DOT 5
On the advantage side, silicone fluid will not harm paint or plastic, and does not aggressively attract additional moisture as glycol fluid does. On the disadvantage side however, silicone fluid aerates easily. Harley-Davison, one of the sole current OEM users of silicone fluid, warns buyers to let the fluid sit at least an hour before using it. The trip home in the saddlebag is enough to aerate silicone brake fluid until it looks like a freshly poured soft drink.
D.O.T. 5 Brake Fluid

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the tid bits on the dot 5: looks like I'm gonna be upgrading to dot 5 when I do the re-paint.
Did not know about the aerate problem with dot 5!!! Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Another option would be to strip the rest of the old paint and leave it bare. There are lots of parts on the bike that are bare, shiny metal. You could polish it up a bit if you like, and continue to use DOT 3 with no worries!

·
Norfolk,England
240 Posts
If you are going to fill with DOT 5, then the entire brake system will need draining,stripping down and cleaning, including all the rubber seals.

DOT 3/4 and DOT 5 DO NOT MIX, they will react with each other and cause all sorts of problems.
However DOT 5.1 will mix with DOT 3/4 as it is not silicone based

·
Banned
97 Posts
Actually the ceramic caliper paint comes in a can and u brush it on. I cleaned the caliper well, then thinned the paint down and applied a couple of thin coats. Doesnt look bad for a brush job.I also put a thin bead of rtv sealant on mine before reassembly.No noticeable mess and no leaks.I think what happens is they weep a little and being up hi in the wind, the wind blows the fluid back all over the reservoir and peels the paint.The round ones dont seem to have this trouble cause they have screw on cap--less likely to weep.bj

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also put a thin bead of rtv sealant on mine before reassembly.No noticeable mess and no leaks.I think what happens is they weep a little and being up hi in the wind, the wind blows the fluid back all over the reservoir and peels the paint.The round ones dont seem to have this trouble cause they have screw on cap--less likely to weep.bj
This is a good point and a good sealant is the way I am going. Gotta find some of this ceramic paint.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.