Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had there Kawi custom painted ? If so, where can you locate a good quality painter to do the work ? Most local auto painters wont do the work. All the sites I visit seem to want big bucks $2,000 plus for a tank, fenders and side mounts. Any thoughts or opinions on the subject. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

good custom paint work is expensive end of story

there are lots of custom painters on-line but you'll have to send yor tins off to have it done - one guy in TN. comes to mind that has good prices - i can dig up his name if you like - there are also several places in daytona fla.
that are good -

·
Registered
244 Posts
Funny you should mention it. I got a quote this week for $500-1000 for all new paint and clear coat, depending on the detail. It's a local outfit but has done a bunch of bikes. Thought you could use that as a reference.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
There's a guy in Ohio that does alot of vulcans I'll find his number an web pic's if your interested Pretty reasonable? let me know

·
Registered
487 Posts
the guy that painted mine has a t-shirt shop at a mall. he gave me a reasonable price because I let him be creative. I gave him a general idea of what I wanted them let him go from there. So what I'm saying is if you want a less expensive custom paint job, locate a local airbrush artist, check out his/her work and negotiate a deal :)

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
paint

if at all possible tell the shop that you can bring them the parts. that should save you a chunk and they may be more willing to give you a deal since you are saving them a decent amount of work. shop around, a lot of guys will do paint on the side which is where you can save even more. i am having mine painted this winter and ghost flames installed. by going to a backyard guy, that rents a booth at a local shop, it should be less than $1000. keep in mind that i have bags and also a fairing to paint on top of the tank, both fenders and both side covers. good luck.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am an automotive painter by trade and I would just like to add that custom painting is very time consuming and materials are expensive. Do your reasearch before you give your bike up to just any painter. Ask lots of questions and look at thier previous work. If you are anything like me you wouldn't want a cheap paint job on a bike you paid thousands for. Not to say someone cant do a good job for little money. I thought I would add my 2 cents.

I will be painting my Meanie a SV1000 and a Buell ******* Chopper over the winter. I will post pic along the way. I had 40 hours and a lot of material in painting my old ZX636. Pics in gallery and myavatar

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like the color of my bike but want to dump the silly stock decals on the side of the tank. Looks like they are under the clear coat. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
309 Posts
You are right. The decals are under the clear coat. I will tell you how I do them if there are no dents to repair.
I strip the tank with 80 grit da paper to bare metal. Then I use 180 grit to smooth 80 grit scratches. After a nice wipe down with wax and grease remover and prep solvent I apply a fat coat of self etching primer, two coats of wet on wet sealer one coat of base then a short bake. After I bake my first coat of base for a short time, I sand out an dirt in my base and tack off and continue to apply my base till it is covered.( I usually do this to get a very smooth and very clean job.) After the base coat has flashed and another tack, I apply 2-3 coats of clear coat. Done.

·
Registered
92 Posts

As a custom motorcycle painter by trade, I can tell you that you get what you pay for. Check out my site and let me know if you have questions....

·
Registered
864 Posts
Check out Taylors house of color.com, he's here in Louisville KY, nationally famous, very, very, reasonable, specializes in flames or whatever you want him to do, he's done semi's for Brooks & Dunn, the UPS truck with flames on it was also done by him, on his website there is a picture of a H-D Ford pickup with flames that he did, I saw it, truly awsome, cost about $4000 for the entire truck with 20 coats of clear and then he buffs of 2 coats - B BOY

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
bdsbigzrx said:
As a custom motorcycle painter by trade, I can tell you that you get what you pay for. Check out my site and let me know if you have questions....
Excellent work there.
I've seen your work before and would love to have you do something, but there's no way I can afford what I would really want.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
klinker said:
Has anyone ever had there Kawi custom painted ? If so, where can you locate a good quality painter to do the work ? Most local auto painters wont do the work. All the sites I visit seem to want big bucks $2,000 plus for a tank, fenders and side mounts. Any thoughts or opinions on the subject. Thanks.
I know this won't help you a ton, but I am having some paint done to just my tank and its 500 bucks. I don't think its too easy to find good paint very cheap.

·
Registered
92 Posts

the entire truck with 20 coats of clear
:lol: I'm sure you were just imbellishing, as 20 coats of clear would actually be a BAD idea! :lol: Mil thickness on that paintjob would be, well, not measured in mils :roll: 3-4 coats over all your artwork, then wet-sanded smooth with 600grit, then 2-4 more coats of clear is all you'd ever need for a slick as glass finish that provides all the UV protection the job would require while remaining within spec as far as mil thickness is concerned.....

·
Living on the dark side
2,541 Posts
This thread has been dead for exactly two years, that's why the old link isn't working!!:wink:

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
I blame you of course. ;-)

Cool website though, nice work. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts