Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 2006 650R, Black/Silver with Red frame. I want to get some MATCHING paint and repaint the lower fairings (they're silver, but I might paint them black to match the upper fairings).

Anyway - does the dealerships usually carry those types of supplies? Or is there a better place to obtain all this? I'll need the clear-coat and everything.

btw: I grew up in a body shop, so body work & painting are somewhat second-nature to me. I just haven't done it in ~37 years, so I want to ensure that I'm going to the right suppliers. I could probably just pay someone to do it cheaper than it'll cost me to buy the spray guns etc, but I just want to do it myself.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I don't know that dealers sell stock paint, but I know there are web sites that sell them and you can buy it in various containers from spray cans to touch-ups to gallons. I know they have all car manufacturer colors, but might do the same for motorcycles.

·
TV Guru
11,773 Posts
^^^What he said, but with one word of caution:

Paints now are water based (that environmental thing), so make sure get a modern gun capable of shooting that stuff - then practice, practice and practice some more since the paint tends to run very easily. You don't want to go through the bother of a repaint only to end up with drip marks on the edges of your parts.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,948 Posts
As long as you have the original paint code, ColorRite or a local auto paint shop can match it.

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the ticket! Get a quart of that stuff and you can brush it on with one of those inexpensive foam brushes from Lowes. :biggrin:
Hey - don't laugh. I've seen cars painted with HOUSE paint using a brush. Paint starts cracking after a few months. But - I'll keep your idea in mind. :)

Thanks for the tips guys. I knew someone knew the best way to do this.

Yeh - that water-based stuff is a totally new concept to me. I've been studying how to spray the clear-coat and saw that they were using that. Interesting.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,540 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.