Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bobber Lover
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a second motorcycle that will become a daily rider. I want to paint it a color and finish that is the easiest and quickest to clean.

I am leaning towards a flat black or flat color of some sort as it seems you could wash or rinse off without having to dry it like gloss paints with clear coats. I have no experience with flat finishes and how they clean up.

I work at a manufacturing plant that is dusty and dirty and can't ride my gloss black bike to work. I want a finish that can basically be rinsed off and riden and still look decent.

The bike will be a Kawasaki 800 and will be converted to a bobber styling.

Any opinions or help is greatly appreciated

·
+2 Ring of Invisibility
137 Posts
anything black or white is gonna show dirt. maybe you can see what color the dust is. tan or brown maybe? i like the idea of a flat paint too.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
White actually stays looking clean unless you ride through something like mud. Every day dirt and dust doesn't really stand out...until you clean it that is ;)

Fact of the matter is...nothing is harder to keep looking clean than gloss black. So much so, in fact, that my father refuses to ever buy another black vehicle. Just about any other color will be a drastic improvement in looking clean. Pick one you like and go with it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
A silver bike is the way to go if ease of maintenance is what you're after. They don't show dirt very easily, and most other blemishes are concealed as well.

·
Bobber Lover
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know how the flat paints wash up?

In addition can you have a flat matt clearcoat added to the paint job, if so are there positives or negatives to this process.

Thanks

DC

·
I'm NOT the boss
929 Posts
I'd say some type of coating on top of the paint and yes...they do make a clear matte. If it was JUST the paint...I'd think the dirt would stick even more so I'd suggest some type of coating.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Novel idea -

Strip the tins down to bare metal, then clearcoat with a matte finish. Maybe even let the tins develop just a hint of oxidation first, before clearcoating.

Would be a great look for a bobber!

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
Novel idea -

Strip the tins down to bare metal, then clearcoat with a matte finish. Maybe even let the tins develop just a hint of oxidation first, before clearcoating.

Now that sounds like a good idea.
For the record, flat black shows dirt terribly and isn't any easier to clean that gloss. I had a gold (champagne?) colored truck once and I could never tell it was dirty.

The metal look with a matte clear sounds like the best bet to me and would look killer on a bobber,......

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
A silver bike is the way to go if ease of maintenance is what you're after. They don't show dirt very easily, and most other blemishes are concealed as well.
Silver/Grey hides all kinds of dirt the best by far

Novel idea -

Can't recall the name, but someone from FL with a Meanie did that. It was interesting.

IMO, just Rhino line it. They have tons of colors, it's very durable and easy to apply. And looks fine if you mess up a bit. BTW, stripping it to metal isn't the best idea since you need to use an etcher to get things to adhere properly if I recall right (not a painter, but made that mistake once).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts