Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to paint my '84 GPz1100-A2 red. Where do I get the paint code? Will the auto paint supply store have motorcycle codes?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bike colours requires a call, and ColoRite only goes to year '86. I am inquiring about my '84 GPz.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Beware... if it's a candy red, the ColorRite won't match.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Firecracker red is paint code #K61062-606C (right off the Color Rite Spray can).
I know.

I'm just saying... Candy Fire red does NOT match... both rattle can and the "pro" 2-part.
CheriAnn had a painter go through over $300 worth of ColorRong 2-part trying to match for a 4" repair on her tank... she ended up taking it to a different shop where the painter matched it with PPG.
I tried to use it for my fairing. I used twice the amount of paint that ColorRong said I would need. I had 4 or 5 coats on, and the color was not even CLOSE to matching. Another 4 or 5 coats and it might have been close.
Of course, the problem with rattle cans and candy is that it impossible to get an even coat, so the whole thing had dark streaks through it.

I ended up sanding off the paint and took it to a pro who had it ready in a couple of days. He used House of Kolor to match it.

I've heard the same from multiple RoadStar owners that ColorRong's candy reds don't match the Yamaha paint.

With Firecracker Red being a 2-layer only, chances are it's going to work fine... I just posted for general info not to trust them for candy colors (which would be any of the Kawi metallics).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. How much paint to cover the '84, 1/2 pint of pint?

ColorRite has been recommended for my CBX for its Candy Glory Red.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts