Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dupli-color has paint made for wheels but it doenst come in many colours i think like 3 or 4.. but its a good brand..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, I've used the Duplicolor wheel paint, but color choices are limited.

If you want to use a color that isn't common, you may want to consider powder coating. It typically runs under $200 for four car wheels, so motorcycles would have to be somewhat cheaper, although unfortunately, the expensive part is sometimes mixing the paint, not how much you paint.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A normal body shop may do it or have a connection to do it, but I would look for a place that does a lot of custom work, just because they'll probably have someone with more of an artist's eye, and that may help with the color matching.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Find a powder coater. It is way more durable than paint.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My friend wanted to get his painted at a shop. On the other hand, it can be quite costly. For example, he paid 250$ CDN to paint the whole body of the bike, and then the guy was charging him something like 200$ CDN a wheel. So im guessing it would be much cheaper if you tried it out yourself, thats what he did :wink:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
****, 250 for the whole body and 200 a wheel....just doesn't seem proportional, but then again I don't know whats involved in powder coating a wheel. I just had my whole body painted and if it wasn't a friend, the job would have cost $680 + paint. There was some extra work required though, because a stripper messed things up....lots of prep work.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Daveitaly said:
My friend wanted to get his painted at a shop. On the other hand, it can be quite costly. For example, he paid 250$ CDN to paint the whole body of the bike, and then the guy was charging him something like 200$ CDN a wheel. So im guessing it would be much cheaper if you tried it out yourself, thats what he did :wink:
$250 CDN is like 189US and 200CDN is like 150US

Most of the money in any quote for paint is the labor. If they are painting the plastic right then they are sanding it at least twice and primering it the same to make sure it is real smooth. The paint is not too much and its not hard to cure it either. Once the urethane paint has gone on with flex in it, it will get the clear at the same time and then off to the oven to cure.

·
Registered
605 Posts
r409z said:
There was some extra work required though, because a stripper messed things up....
Alright, first off, what was a stripper doing with your plastics...

And second off, what did she do :wink:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stuart said:
r409z said:
There was some extra work required though, because a stripper messed things up....
Alright, first off, what was a stripper doing with your plastics...

And second off, what did she do :wink:
After the damage the stripper caused, I almost wish it was the kind of stripper you are talking about. I have more about it under the Lessons Learned section. It's the posting about not trusting professionals. (dont trust "professional" strippers either... :lol: )

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, as for the paintjob he got, it was a friend's body shop, and that is why the price was good. Also, I said 250$ CDN for the body, but he had to take apart the body himself and bring only the body to the shop. As for decals or stickers or what, I know he had some on it, so they surely took them off and sanded the body down well. As for the job, it looks great. The paint looks pretty high quality and for 250$, it was a really good deal. As for the 200$ a wheel, I dont know either, why does a wheel cost more? Im not sure...Im guessing because with the wheel the shop has more labor to charge. Taking off the wheel from the bike, taking the tire off the wheel. Im not really sure why, but I figure it could cost more then just sanding and painting the body....thats my guess

·
Registered
605 Posts
I know all about the manager with the idiots, as you can see I posted in there, I just felt like using your poor posting of the word stripper :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Powder Coating

Go check it out and you will be happy that you did. Powdercoating is great, tough and just go ask and look at a shop...it is worth the time to make the visit. You might ask about stripping the wheels, before you bring them in... As far as the "Strippers" you just never know what you are really getting into. POR-15 has some great stuff. Then again, I'm a hands on kinda guy that likes to do it the old fashion way. Get it wet keep it wet and wetsand till it comes out the way you want it to. I still have a little sailor (Retired Navy) left in my blood!

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
There are a couple of places I've heard of in Utica, NY area that do powder coating. I've heard of them through the local sport compact car club I'm a member of.

I'd say get a hold of the guys from MSI or CNY Concepts on their forums and ask about local powder coaters.

http://www.midstateimports.com
http://www.cnyconcepts.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts