Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
At home wherever I land
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go!

I'm at the prep and paint stage for my 800 Bobber project. I'm planning on using a spray enamel from Armyjeepparts.com. I've got plans to first paint the whole thing (tank, fender, side covers and one of my air cleaner covers (I have 2) WWII olive drab and then decide if I want to do any sort of embellishment. after I see what it looks like. I have never done a paint job like this, and wondered if anyone had any guidance ragarding prep of the tank and side covers since they are currently painted. I also have to remove the badges on the tank, and have no idea how to start.

school me on painting prep and such.

Andy

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well first, you cant explain how to do a good paint job start to finish on a post. I just cant be done. second, you have to have all the right equipment. such as water filter for the compressor, right tip for the sprayer, the right sprayer, the right clear coat.. if your using a clear coat, and embelishment is an art. You dont just learn this stuff on a you tube vid and expect to do it in the garage becasue it take practice to make these biles look good. try painting a peice of sheet metal before you get into the bike project. It will give you an idea of what your really getting into and maybe it will give you some more ideas. Prep is super imortant so make sure you take your time and just ease through the process. Paint it slowly with even strokes and be patient. put on the finish in a DUST FREE environment. Sand finish 3 or 4 times and spray again if you have to. Other than that have fun and good luck

·
At home wherever I land
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All these things are true, and thanks for the quick and dirty summary. I'm going the rattle can route, not HVLP. I have seen some very good rattle-can paint jobs, and I'm willing to give it a try. still, it will be a dust-free environment, and multiple coats are a must regardless of application method.

Thanks.
Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts