Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has painted there bike them selves??? I was thinking since the plastic parts are pretty small on my bike 1990 EX500 that i could just remove them and spray paint and clear coat them my self.. anyone have tips and what not..

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man.. chaning the colour will have to happen soon.. im not to keen about the blue and white paint with the hot pink stickers :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
automotive Painting industry standard uses urethane paint and add a mix of flex additive in it so it doesn't crack.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im looking at jsut painting my bike black. the krylon your talking about is that in a spray can or do you use a spray gun????

Thanks for all your help guys

Dan

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the help TrashMonkey.. Did you use a clear coat after or is the paint its self pretty thick??? also are the body peices hard to remove.. it doenst look hard but the front with the head light looks like the hardest one to get off... also any tips for removing the stickers on the bike.. jsut peel them off and use like piant thiner or something??? lastly .. lol sorry for all the question but where would i find that piant.. i live in Ontario Canada but im assuming its pretty standard stuff..

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks man youve been more then helpfull..i hope to get cracking at this soon... but first maybe i should ride the bike lol dont even have my licence yet ( this friday cant wait) .. On your web site are those befor and after pics??? cuz if they are you did a real nice job,..

oh i just remeber how much of a pain is it to remove the gas tank???

Dan

·
Registered
78 Posts
the gas tank > turn your fuel tap to off, then use a flat headed screwdriver to slide off the fuel hose and the vac. return pipe.

Has anyone seen any matt black spray paint in cans, also how do you finish matt paint since you obviously cant put a clear coat on top.

·
Registered
456 Posts
TrashMonkey has been giving you some great advice here. I just thought I'd chip in add on a couple of points.
1. If you use enamel paint (and I expect you will) you have a window for recoating. You have to wait long enough for it to dry completely, but not long enough for it to start curing. If it starts to cure, you will have to wait a few days for the curing to finish before you can recoat it. Read the directions on the paint. One time I put on a second coat a day after my first coat, and it bubbled up like crazy. It was awful, and the only way I could fix it was a whole lot of sanding. I learned my lesson well.
2. If my memory serves me correctly, urethane clear coating is not a good idea, especially for the gas tank. If you ever overflow your tank, the gas will eat up the urethane and ruin your paint job. I think that the Duplicolor and other clear coats like TrashMonkey mentioned are not urethane, so they should be a great choice.
Curt

·
Registered
68 Posts
71_307 said:
im looking at jsut painting my bike black. the krylon your talking about is that in a spray can or do you use a spray gun????

Thanks for all your help guys

Dan

i'm half way done painting mine black, just haven't had the will to stop riding it enough to let the guy finish the other half of it :wink:

·
Registered
412 Posts
03SSgt, what kind of rear turn signals are you using? I don't see any.

·
Registered
78 Posts
OMG man that looks really smart, tbh i like the effect you get with part of the bike being shiny and part being matt. i am not sure if i want an all over matt or half half now :?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok i have a question , i painted my rear solo tail on my bike and i used Dupli Color Black Paint well it looked nice after 4 coats then i went to put on the Clear coat and ive put 3 coats on and now i look at the paint and its all white does anyone know why its white. Will it not be white when it drys ? help plz.

·
Registered
68 Posts
DiverDown said:
03SSgt, what kind of rear turn signals are you using? I don't see any.
they are small smoke flush mounts at the rear, beside the license plate. got them at a local motorcycle shop for like $6 or so. work fine :wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts