Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best kind of paint to put on a bike, im looking at getting a bike that has been dropped a few times at low speeds and has some cosmetic damage too it, so im obviously looking to paint it.

how hard is it
what kind of paint should i buy

·
Registered
456 Posts
How much will it cost? How much work is it? What kind of paint should I get?

It all depends on how good you want it to look when you're finished. If you're on a very small budget, you can get a halfway decent job out of enamel spray paint cans from Walmart. It won't look great, but it will look a ton better than it does now, and it will be cheap.

The biggest difference between a good paint job and a great one is the preparation. No paint is going to look great unless you have a near perfect surface to start with, and that is going to take a lot of work. But the end result is knock-your-socks-off gorgeous.

I think it's best to work on one piece at a time. Sand it a lot. Then take a lunch break and sand it some more. When you're finished, do some more sanding. Then sand it a little more. Make it smooth as a baby's butt. A little more sanding would be good. Clean it thoroughly, and make sure it's completely dry.

When it looks like a piece of glass, you're ready for priming, then painting, then clearcoating. Take your time. Keep the coats thin so they don't run. Set up a hook to hang the piece while it's drying. Sand lightly between coats if your paint directions recommend it.

When you're finally finished with the clearcoat, sit back and admire your work. It will be a beautiful sight. Then do the same thing with the rest of the pieces. Some people like to do the finish coat on all the pieces the same day. That helps to get a more consistent color. But if you're using cans from Walmart, you're not going to get perfect color anyway.

Laquer paints are easy to work with, and it's easy to get a very glossy finish with them. But they are not very durable. They are often used for show cars. Enamel paints last longer. Krylon, DupliColor, and Rustoleum (and probably many other brands) make paint especially for plastic. They have better adhesion than general purpose paints.
Curt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts