Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search through the forums, and came up with a lot of people saying "wear your gear" but I couldn't find much as far as what people are happy with. I've got a jacket that I like a lot, gloves that I like a lot, but I end up wearing jeans and sneakers most of the time. I'd like to get some better pants and boots with a bit more ankle protection than sneakers. Anyone have any brand recommendations, or experiences as to what has and hasn't held up in a crash?

Specifically, I'm looking at pants and boots that I can wear when I go someplace and not be uncomfortable in, and not look like I just dropped out of a race, but will offer some more protection.

For pants, I like the Icon Recon, anyone have any specific experiences with them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
GEAR

Gear includes leather gloves, a great helmet, and a long sleeve jacket usually but not always leather, pants long not always leather and boots or half boots. Most of us retired Military guys will NEVER wear out all the oots that we have. They are not only lace-up(some with zippers sewn in the sides) they ofer great leg support ankle support and they don't look like you just came out of a space movie. Leather pants in some areas of the city where I live (NEVER CATCH ME WEARING THEM) I wear Levi's, and depending upon the roads and where I'm going I may choose to wear leather or again my levi jacket. Cross country would be Leather jacket even in desert crossings...and some serious denim pants, and always my military boots. I don't wear any thing less than full fingered leather gloves for motorcycles. I suppose that batting or golf club gloves might work, but I know that my Vanson gloves work, I've even replaced a pair...after a fall wher I didn't get a scratch, but needed to replace them. When it comes to pants and jackets or even under garments anywhere DO NOT WEAR NYLON or any type of synthetic garment ONLY COTTON, anything else WILL melt right into or onto your skin...ask if you do not believe me...anyone on the forum! My military issue socks are nylon...I won't even wear them under my leather boots...I was also an Aviation FireFighter, yo ulearn about synthetics real fast, and films are graphic enough to make you change your garments the very next time tha tyou go to the store! Leather is the best, but it can get like an oven and even though you can have it cleaned and treated you can seriously bake in it. Black helmets look cool, but you will cook your head inside of one unless you have a real good ventilation system in one and you are moving and not setting in traffic like in S. CA, or in Southern TX. The new pants that are out may be okay but I prefer jeans, teh heavy Levis' not the cheap dickies brand. Sneakers just don't hold up well for protecting yor ankles and lower legs,should you get causht or ran into or get hung up some how.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, but I'm looking for specific experiences people have had with different brands or models of pants and boots. The pants I mentioned are made specifically for this. Heavy duty denim with reinforced knees. Sounds great, but if someone has gone down in them and had them rip at the seams or something like that, not so great.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Icon has a great line of gear that's both functional and fashionable. For foot gear, I have a pair of leather Lugz. They're perfect to ride in, and look good when I'm not on my bike. I've also got a pair of BMW Motorrad Street Sneakers, which I won as a door prize. Comfortable, functional, and somewhat stylish. I don't have any riding pants, but jeans work well for now, especially with temps in the upper 80's/90's already. Leather is in the very near future. Jacket is a 1st Gear Mesh-Tex, which will probably be replaced with an Icon jacket as fall approaches. Gloves; just a plain pair of Mechanix. Light and airy with leather where it's needed. Check the websites listed in some of those other posts you were referring to, and don't forget to visit a dealer/store where you can try things on.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
DOWN

I've been down in levi jeans twice not a problem other than a bruise once a levi jacket once left some frazzle on it but I still wear it on the farm, and my leather jacket a Vanson Racing Leather jacket had som abrasion to the sleeve but not noticable unless you were looking for it, a pair of Vanson leather gloves that I went down twice in,,,One palm was shot so i ought another pair to replace them, and my military boots weren't my inspection boots and I still have them and wear them. A bell helmet I sent in for inspection because you are supposed to after a fall or even droppin it ( I had a 1" scratch) they replaced for free. So I'm for Levi's, brand name because they ARE tough, and I'm for Vanson Leathers, and Bell helmets except my new helmet is a HJC...and my next one may be an AGV. I always have at least 3 helmets, I like to keep them clean inside and out and thouroughly dry. I do not have one for a passenger. nor will I carry one. IF someone owns their own bike that is fine. My wife will not ride (traumatized as a child) and I don't care to share my bike with anyone on the back. So now you have it...some of it anyway.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: DOWN

ZX-2R said:
I've been down in levi jeans twice not a problem
I had an opposite experience with Levi's... Took about a month for me to grow back enough skin on my knee just for the bleeding to stop.

Although the jeans didn't actually rip all the way through and I still wear them around the house, so I guess that shows they ARE strong...

Thanks for the responses everyone. Keep the info coming.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Riding Gear

Alpine Star makes great Motorcycle boots. I have had the same pair since 1984.....my first motorcycle leathers were Dainese (italian)

Heather

·
Registered
153 Posts
:D :D I am a small woman and I wear Frank Thomas Lady Rider jacket and pants. Frank Thomas gloves and a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket for hot weather. The Frank Thomas leathers are fully armored and look great! I wear Icon boots and a KBC VR1 helmet. I never go out without jacket, gloves, boots, and helmet at least. I do wear jeans sometimes. :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
Heck, I'm new to the bike wear issue. Years ago all you wore was what made you look cool & if you had to a helmet.

Now the smart bikers are wearing clothing to keep them alive & kicking.

I've scraped several bikers off the side of the interstate and local highway's headding to Sturgis the last couple years. Have also had a few other "off season" bike accidents that resulted in a death due to not wearing a helmet. Only had a single death that a helmet would have not stopped. Guy was going way way fast on the interstate, clipped a sign & that was all she wrote. His aorita was torn loose from the impact & he was DOA. However, his woman would have lived if it was not for massive head trauma.

Whatever you do, get a quality helmet & wear it. I hate picking up dead bikers & putting them in body bags :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got a pair of wheat colored timberlands that I wear for riding. They look great with jeans and they are made of strong, over-the-ankle leather. Sole is rubber with just enough heal. Great for riding in and looking good doing it. J

·
Registered
5 Posts
My maximum protection set of gear is a pair of Aplinestars Web boots (which are great), Hein Gericke jacket and pants (don't know the models; I bought both used but even after several years of my use they are still in great shape), Held Profi (#2277) gloves, and an Arai Quantum/f helmet. Generally that's what I wear, but it's a little inconvenient to wear all that if I'm riding to work. Thus I'm also looking for a compromise solution on the boots and pants.

I'm half-way there. I picked up a pair of Alpinestars N-2 riding shoes and they're working out great. They fit well, offer good support up through the ankles, and look almost normal (some of our summer interns even told me they looked "cool"). Still haven't found a good solution on the pants. I am thinking of picking up a pair of Draggin' Jeans (this would be pushing the limits for our "business casual" dress code, but I'd rather push those limits than go down in a pair of Dockers). I'd be interested in hearing others' experiences with those.

I did go for quite a tumble once wearing Levi's and combat boots. None of my injuries were below the waist (and, thanks to an Arai helmet, none of them were above the neck). However, I was tumbling mostly on dirt and not on pavement so this wasn't a very conclusive test.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm looking at either the Draggin' Jeans or the Icon Recon pants. They both seem like they would do the trick, although the Draggin' jeans look a bit more normal.

So far, Alpinestars seems to make the boots that are the most "stylish".

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have the following gear:

HJC CL-14 FUSION HELMET: This is a very good helmet for the price $109.
It has good ventilation and has never fogged up on me. My helmet is green, it matches my bike and I added a green mirrored face shield. COOL! 8)

ICON TI-MAX MESH JACKET: This is a very cool jacket, 8) both in looks and temperature wise. Everyone that sees me in the jacket thinks I'm burning up inside, but in reality since it's a mesh jacket, it's not hot at all! Hey and I live in Austin, Texas, I know about heat! It is a bit expensive $160, but I think it was worth it. There are some very cool Joe Rocket jackets also and cheaper than this one.

ICON TI-MAX SHORT GLOVES: These gloves are just plain cool looking! 8) They are made of leather and have titanium plates on the fingers. At first the thumbs were a little tight, but I discovered that they were the only fingers that were sewn with the excess to the inside (does this make sense). I turned the thumbs inside out and cut the excess material and now they fit great! They cost me $70.

HARLEY DAVIDSON OVERTIME BOOTS: I know, I know they are Harley Davidson boots. I wanted to buy an inexpensive pair of boots, that would look good, protect my feet and ankles and be comfortable. These boots are all that and more! They are VERY comfortable! I only paid $54 for the pair at Zappos.com with free shipping. Our local Harley shop had these on sale for $75 plus taxes!! :shock: And if you don't like them you can ship them back to Zappos.com for free! :shock: If they don't have your size, sign up with their website and they will send you an email letting you know when your size is available!

Oh and a pair of LEVIS JEANS!

I hope this helps!
Ed

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NICE GEAR

Nice gear! The only recommendation that I have is getting a second helmet. Sometimes a change of headgear is nice especially while you are cleaning and waiting for the thing to dry...it's nice just to change it out. Then a second jacket for a friend...as well as another helmet. Great gear, just keep the tires on the ground, and the shiny side up! Great to hear that you thought out your gear...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yep I agree! ZX-2R! :D

I have two other helmets, another HJC CL-14 in gray and a HJC CL-10 in black! Unfortunately I haven't found a good summer riding jacket for my 12 year old son! :? The local dealers only have Harley style leather jackets for kids. :roll: Maybe a small ladies jacket will work for him, but of course I'll never tell him that it's a girls jacket. :wink:

I did get him some Rhyno Gloves in black and gray! I don't have those yet, they're in the mail. :(

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
MIleage

So is it reaching god numbers with gas mileage yet...where are you at on the odometer???

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Windscreen

Either that or get a shorter upper torso...you know, one that has you chin resting (cradled) in (I meant on) the tank bra...silly me...what WAS I thinking?!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts