Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so im 18 and i have finally convinced my parents to let me get a bike!!!:mrgreen:

So what i would like to know from you guys is which bike should i get?
Im looking to spend around $2000. I have looked at the Ninja 250 and they seem pretty cool. In my price range i can probably only get a used one soo what do you guys think?
Are used ninjas around 2k a safe bet?? Is it a good bike for someone who has never driver a real motorcycle before?

Also here is an ad from my local craigslist:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/mcy/1737916025.html
--what do you guys think???

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts
Take the MSF basic rider course first. Check on your cost of insurance before buying a particular model of bike. I bet a used Vulcan or Intruder 800 will be *much* cheaper to insure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the MSF basic rider course first. Check on your cost of insurance before buying a particular model of bike. I bet a used Vulcan or Intruder 800 will be *much* cheaper to insure.
Hey thankx for the advice but i just looked up the Vulcan and Intruder and they both seem to cost more for older models?? Also what is the MSF course? Can i just learn on my own then take the test?

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
The MSF is the Motorcycle Safety Course. Sure, you can learn on your own, but the course is money well spent. And in many states, if you pass the written and the range tests, you can take your certificate to the DMV and get your endorcement without having to take their test. You can also get a short-term permit that you can practice with until you're ready to take your test. Most folks around here will tell you to take the course. It's usually a weekend event and costs vary from state to state. Some states have financial assistance if cost is an issue for you.

I started with a Ninja 250. Was a good starter bike for me. Depends on your size. I'm a 5'5" female, so a small to average frame. It fit me very well, but I found it a little too busy for me. I now have a 650R which I like much better. It's a calmer bike, but still very sporty. You can usually find a good used 250 for not a lot of money. I agree with Mike, check out what the insurance is going to cost you. My 19-yr-old son has an 06 Shadow 600 that he's insured through Progressive for $200 a year. Lots of insurance companies will give you a break if you've taken the MSF.

Good luck with your purchase. Post pics when you get it!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Heh, I just got my bike as well. Started with a brand new '09 ninja 650r - I would definitely recommend getting this bike or possibly something a little faster. I am *so* glad I did not start out with a 250.

You said you only have $2,000 right now, but do you have a steady source of income (i.e., one that you know you will be able to make monthly payments from and eventually pay off the motorcycle)? If you have your parents co sign a motorcycle for you the APR will be significantly lower than if you financed one yourself, assuming they have decent/good credit and you have none. I financed my motorcycle with no down payment, and had my parents co sign, even though I had enough to pay for the bike in full. I did this to start building my credit (yes, I will eat a couple hundred in interest because of this but I figure I might as well start building credit now). Anyways, here's my monthly bills:

Motorcycle minimum monthly payment: $120, State Farm monthly payment: approx. $130/month (I took the MSF; if you're above 25 in the state of California it's optional, below 25 it is mandatory)

Now keep in mind you want to be able to pay far more than the minimum payment on a financed vehicle or you will end up paying thousands in interest. Anyways, I'm rambling but the point of this post was to possibly have you reconsider the 250 and maybe move up to something a little larger.

Edit: By recommending a bigger bike I should also mention that it doesn't necessarily mean you need to use all of the power right away, I think it would just save you money in the long run, but safety is more important. I have owned my bike for 3 months now and have not taken it above 80mph.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Heh, I just got my bike as well. Started with a brand new '09 ninja 650r - I would definitely recommend getting this bike or possibly something a little faster. I am *so* glad I did not start out with a 250.
very bad idea.

stick to the 250 for learning to ride. jumping straight onto a 650 or "something faster" if you've never ridden a bike before is a recipe for disaster.

the 250 has plenty of speed and is much less likely to put you in a life threatening position if you make a mistake (which you probably will) while learning.

get an old bike to learn on, then after a few months step up to something bigger if you wish

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
As much as I love a 650R, at 18yo and being your first bike, I'd have so say NO to that. A 250R is a perfect bike for you to start out on, especially considering your price range. I'm 40 years old, this is my 6th bike, and I love it.

I'd recommend something like this: 2006KAWASAKI NINJA EX 250R. Remember that you also have to license and insure it, so hold back on the price if $2000 is all you have.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
not to mention needing to buy a helmet, riding jacket, riding pants, riding boots, riding gloves, a bike disc lock......... :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Motorcycle minimum monthly payment: $120, State Farm monthly payment: approx. $130/month (I am 19, and took the MSF)
$130 a month!?!?!? I was under the impression that it would be very cheap to insure monthly--like 25 dollars a month or so. My car insurance is less than $130 a month.

Also about the money... this is like a graduation present so i dont really have more than 2k but i do plan on working over the summer so i can buy necessary bike gear for me.

And about looking at a bike---what should i look for in a used bike? Is there like a bike car fax? How many miles should be on the bike? Also if any of you guys wanted to show me bikes that you think are good around my local craigslist (Chicago) that would be awesome!

·
Finally Free
142 Posts
I got my Vulcan 800 for $2300 with 25xxx on it and it is a 2005. This is an expensive endeavor, no matter what bike you get. Spend the extra money to get good riding gear.

First things first (everyone will agree with me here) TAKE THE MSF! No matter how easy or hard you think it will be to jump on a bike and get going, it is worth it. They teach you lots of life saving skills that you WILL you at some point...

As for the bikes, I'm a cruiser guy and the VN800 is more than enough power. For a sport bike you'll have to take everyone else's bike.

bikes do show up on carfax, as I used it myself when I got my bike. If you look at KBB.com for the bike you are looking at, it gives you an estimated amount of miles an average bike of that year and model of bike should have.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Wow. I got a slap on the back for graduation and the famous "Now go get a real job" line. As for the costs of motorcycling. Helmet ($125.00). Jacket ($100.00) Gloves ($25.00). Boots ($50 - 100 - 200.00) And get ones that zip or lace and go over the ankle. Insurance will cost you more because you are NEW and YOUNG. My full coverage is only $20.00/month, but I am old. So, call and check on insurance for the 250. And, I do HIGHLY recommend the MSF course. Yeah, you can learn on your own, but, they do teach you certain skills to keep you ALIVE. You just have to use them. So, as you can see, it is NOT cheap for the initial getting a bike setup. Good luck to you.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Just to echo what has already been said:

1) VERY bad idea to get a fast bike for your first
2) VERY bad idea to finance your first bike
3) Take the MSF course, it is well worth whatever they charge in your state...worth more actually
4) Invest in good gear...not necessarily expensive gear...gear that fits and will protect you in a crash
5) Shop around for insurance BEFORE buying a bike

For 2 grand, your bike isn't likely to depreciate in value...that is a very big plus. Motorcycling is not a quick in-and-out adventure...you take time, work yourself up to your dream bike by developing your skills on more forgiving bikes. The 250 is a great bike to start on...and as I said, at that price, you'll be able to ride it for awhile, then sell it for pretty much what you have in it. Its a MUCH MUCH MUCH better approach than buying a brand new bike on credit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thnkx for the info and thnkx for looking up some bikes
Im still unsure how many miles YOU PERSONALLY think should be on a 250 for 2k?
Also can someone give me an estimate of how much insurance will be? And and estimate of how much the MSF costs?
Thnxk

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
thnkx for the info and thnkx for looking up some bikes
Im still unsure how many miles YOU PERSONALLY think should be on a 250 for 2k?
Also can someone give me an estimate of how much insurance will be? And and estimate of how much the MSF costs?
Thnxk
Wow. Somethings you have to do for yourself. Call up Progressive about the insurance. Check KBB on pricing for a 250. A 250 could have 100 miles and be a POS. It could have over 10K and be a great bike. Bikes are like cars. If they are taken care of, they will last a long time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How is it a bad idea to finance the motorcycle?

Edit: I know a lot of people condemn new riders who get fast motorcycles as their first but I think it's a little stereotypical to assume all new riders are going to go straight to an open road and see how fast the thing can go; as I previously said I have owned mine for 3 months and haven't taken it above 80 - for one I am too scared and secondly I realize I do not have nearly enough experience to operate it at high speeds -.- I guess I understand your guys' concern, I know a few of my friends who would probably try and top it out after driving off the lot, I'm not trying to argue here I just don't want him to get something he's going to be tired of after a couple weeks.

I researched the 650r for quite some time before purchasing it and don't think it's too fast for a beginner? =s Again, you obviously have to have discretion while riding but if he's responsible enough and feels he can handle it then I would go for it

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Sorry, and no disrespect to the original poster, but it's been my experience that 18yo and "responsible" are rarely used in the same sentence. It's the sole reason insurance is so expensive for people that age....they wreck vehicles at a far greater rate than those who've reached their 25th birthdays. It's much easier to accumulate too much speed for your situation on a 650R and I'd hate to have him land in a ditch or under a car because of that. A 250R will be more forgiving of his misjudgments and will negotiate a corner taken too hot better than a bigger, heavier bike will. It's also harder to achieve too much speed on a 250R, which is ideal for a new rider who is just starting to explore the limits of the machine.

In the end, he'll get what he wants (if he coughs up way more than $2000 or somehow secures a loan) but just because he can doesn't mean he should.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts