Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pouring over diagrams trying to find this part - the nuts and studs they bolt to on my bike are pretty rusty, so I figured the next time I pull the exhaust off I'll change them. I found the part number for the nuts, but I can't find the stud anywhere.

I'm talking about the threaded bit that goes into the engine, and the nut holds the exhaust pipe onto the bike. Just a stupid little part, and my local hardware stores don't seem to carry anything like it, at least not metric.

Also - any advice on part suppliers? I've been looking at bikebandit, but OEM parts are expensive. $6 for a nut?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
If you can remove one of them without "buggering" the threads, the local auto parts stores usually carry a selection of metric threaded studs.

Sometimes double nutting a stud will allow removal, just tighten up two nuts against each other and use the bottom nut to try and turn the stud out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just as a follow up - didn't find them at the auto parts store, but Ace Hardware had them hidden in the corner, in a bin marked Automobile Studs - Metric. Nice and cheap. Guess I'll use the double nut method to try and install them?

Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just thinking about how to get them into the engine without damaging the threads. 12ft/lbs isn't much though, so I guess not a huge concern.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been pouring over diagrams trying to find this part - the nuts and studs they bolt to on my bike are pretty rusty, so I figured the next time I pull the exhaust off I'll change them. I found the part number for the nuts, but I can't find the stud anywhere.

I'm talking about the threaded bit that goes into the engine, and the nut holds the exhaust pipe onto the bike. Just a stupid little part, and my local hardware stores don't seem to carry anything like it, at least not metric.

Also - any advice on part suppliers? I've been looking at bikebandit, but OEM parts are expensive. $6 for a nut?
what was that part number for the bolt? i cant find them... i'm missing one, trying to fix a horrible tinging from loose wobbly exhaust anyone know what i should do?

·
Super Moderator
10,745 Posts
what was that part number for the bolt? i cant find them... i'm missing one, trying to fix a horrible tinging from loose wobbly exhaust anyone know what i should do?
1st thing you have to do is tell us very specifically what the make, model and year your vehicle is. Attaching a picture of the defective part(s) will help tremendously.

Then we'll try to help you by going to an online distributors parts fiche (diagrams) to help you find what you need. I've found that some distributors have better fiches than others. Powersports Parts | Partzilla.com is one such one. It sometimes takes some deep digging but we'll help you out.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
By hsalslash: what was that part number for the bolt? ...

For the 2005 VN800 the exhaust holder studs are in the cylinder head diagram:
Partzilla >> STUD,8X22 92004-1217

You may also need to install new exhaust pipe gaskets.
Before trying to remove the old studs, you should use a good penetrant & give it time to work. Vibration with a wood block & mallet should help. Also, heat >> engine heat in this case is preferable to a propane torch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts