Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a seat, a headlight lens, handlebar controls and switches, and I need to know what kind of battery it uses. A shop manual would help with this but I need one of those too!!! a part supplier would be very nice. Help is appreciated. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
247 Posts
E-Bay shows quite a few listings for F1TR but are you sure about the year? Wiki shows 1966 but good info in general on this bike seems scarce. You could also try vintagekawasaki.com

·
Registered
247 Posts
Have you tried searching the VIN or engine numbers to see if you can trace it back to a year? Can you post a picture? I am curious about your bike. It seems rare. Even Partzilla.com only goes back as far as 1966 and they don't list your bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
83B0259E-1BFB-43BC-B27C-7E4C9C3DAE3D.jpeg
R
162DFB7D-8646-40DF-82CB-D9A75C962428.jpeg
83B0259E-1BFB-43BC-B27C-7E4C9C3DAE3D.jpeg

Have you tried searching the VIN or engine numbers to see if you can trace it back to a year? Can you post a picture? I am curious about your bike. It seems rare. Even Partzilla.com only goes back as far as 1966 and they don't list your bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The VIN is F 1 20786, and the engine number is F200843. Just above the engine number it says .169L , which I think is roughly a 175. My searches for Vin number have been unsuccessful... someone always says it’s wrong because there aren’t enough digits in it.. I may not be looking in the right places.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for the photos! Is it possible this bike was imported from another country? I cannot find anything of that vintage that matches your bike from bikes that were sold in North America, but it looks similar to the 1966 250cc Samurai. Possibly some parts might interchange.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I found a 1968 TR120 Roadrunner that looks very similar to yours. High pipe. Headlight/Speedo as one unit, but yours looks older and has the pressed steel swing arm. Someone on this forum probably has the answer. Guys and Gals. Please explain why Partzilla and Kawasaki.com do not list the OP's bike as a 1965. I searched up to around 1970 without finding an exact match. The one in the photo below is close, but smaller engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the photos! Is it possible this bike was imported from another country? I cannot find anything of that vintage that matches your bike from bikes that were sold in North America, but it looks similar to the 1966 250cc Samurai. Possibly some parts might interchange.
Anything is possible. My brother bought it from a guy on Craigslist, and knows nothing about if. I found the title slip hidden in the side pocket, and that’s where I came up with the 1965. It looks identical to the 1966 I saw on eBay. I. Guessing the 175cc from the markings on the engine block that said 0.169 L . But I’m not positive about anything. Do you have any suggestions about which battery to buy? I’m interested in seeing if I can start it...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Do you have any suggestions about which battery to buy? I’m interested in seeing if I can start it...
Well without the exact year it will take some detective work. The first thing is to figure out if it is a 6 volt or 12 volt system. Try pulling some light bulbs to see if you can find the voltage written on them. Once you know the battery voltage, measure the battery box and note which side is positive and which side is negative since the wires won't reach if you get the wrong battery. Take your measurements to your favourite battery store and start hunting for a match or something that is close. By the way, some older bikes did not need the battery in order to run. The battery was needed for lights and horn, but would start fine without a battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also want to rebuild the petcock. Are these fairly universal, or year specific. Any idea? It’s going to be difficult to find an aftermarket one that fits I fear

·
Registered
247 Posts
I also want to rebuild the petcock. Are these fairly universal, or year specific. Any idea? It’s going to be difficult to find an aftermarket one that fits I fear
Your best bet is to pull it off and post a picture here and someone may recognize it. It looks like your petcock screws onto a threaded nipple that is welded to the gas tank. Measure the outside diameter of the threads on the nipple, and try to determine the thread pitch. For that, you will need a metric thread pitch gage that can be purchased at any automotive supply store. They are inexpensive. Armed with the diameter and pitch, all you need to do is find a petcock from any manufacturer with the same thread specs and it should work although you need to pay attention to the seal design.

Petcocks are far from universal. This is one reason I was trying so hard to identify your bike. Partzilla.com is a wonderful resource with detailed parts diagrams for all Kawasakis going back to 1966. If we could identify your bike, then we can get the part number and then a Google or Ebay search might find the exact part for your bike. Also, Partzilla will cross reference to all other bikes that use the same part.

The 1966 Kawasaki W1 petcock might fit but is no longer available from Partzilla, but it gives you a part number for Google searches.

Kawasaki Motorcycle 1966 OEM Parts Diagram for Fuel Tank | Partzilla.com

I am still hoping someone on this forum sees your pictures and can identify the bike. According to all of my sources, Kawasaki did not import any bikes in 1965 to North America.

I went through all of this when restoring my 1966 Yamaha YL-1 Twinjet. I ended up rebuilding the petcock. Speaking of that, your bike looks remarkably similiar to my YL-1 with the same pressed steel frame and swingarm and combined headlight/speedo. Any chance this is an old Yamaha with a Kawasaki gas tank?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Except for it saying Kawasaki everywhere, I suppose it was possible. But no, it’s a Kawasaki. Have you ever cleaned a stator? I opened it up an it’s pretty dirty looking, I was wondering if this might be why I don’t get a spark. God help me if this need to be replaced, but I thought I’d try to clean the dirt and grease off to see if this was my reason for no spark. What do people think about this.. I don’t know if it’s a good idea or not...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ps I saw the Partzill parts diagram. I got excited for a second until I noticed the only parts pictured that I could buy were a washer and a hex nut. What a bummer

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ebay currently has 3 pages of parts listed for your bike including ignition parts and headlight. They also have a working rotor for $35.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ok, I am convinced that what you have is a Kawasaki, but I had to ask. :)

While I have still not found an exact match on Partzilla (and this remains a mystery), I did find a very close match. Check out this article and except for engine size, I think you will agree it looks a lot like your bike:

Partzilla does list this bike starting in 1967 and they stock petcocks. If you go to this link and click on the petcock assembly (item #36) it will show you a detailed photo of the petcock to help you determine if it will fit.
It will also show you the 30 or more models that also used this petcock. So it looks like Kawi used this petcock in many models right up to 1984.

So with that established, other parts may also interchange. You can start your searches from here:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts