Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have some children I was wondering what the consensus was on a good age to let children on the back. My best guess is if they can reach all the way around me and hold their hands together, and are at an age where they can understand and follow instructions. And of course I did buy them a helmet that fits properly. My biggest complaint when trying to buy a helmet was that there are not alot of full face street helmets for kids. Everyone wants to sell you an open face, wouldn't you think that most people would want the same, if not better, protection for their kids?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Helmet

You might try a motocross shop. They should have alot of smaller full face helmets since so many kids ride motocross. Good luck.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
My 10 yr old is small for her age and is just chomping at the bit to get out on the road with dad. Both the 15 yr and 14 yr old have both gone on rides and love it. I take the youngest around the block to quelch her desire but I'm not ready to expend cash on a helmet that I know she'll outgrow as soon as I buy it.

The idea that she'd fall asleep on a long ride has never crossed my mind so that is something to consider, thanks for mentioning that. She does drift off on car rides.....

·
Registered
456 Posts
My son is 5 now. He started riding with me when he was 4. Naturally his mother freaks out. But we never go far or fast, and we never leave our neighborhood streets. The police told me that if he's old enough to reach the pegs, he can ride anywhere anytime. But that doesn't mean I'll take him on a country highway at midnight.

My son and I have a set of matching gear: white helmets, red/black gloves, red/black jackets, black jeans. Our boots don't match yet.

We both have HJC Symax flip-up helmets. I wanted the flip-up to make it easy to communicate quickly if we have a problem. Our next helmets won't be flip-up, since he's patient enough to wait to communicate. Fortunately for me, his head is too big for an extra-small adult helmet, so he wears a small adult helmet. Those were easy to find.

His jacket is an adult extra-small Joe Rocket Phoenix 2.0. I tailored the body and sleeves to be shorter and thinner. It's still too big for him, but it's better than it was.

His gloves are adult size extra-small.

I bought some kevlar material to sew into our jeans (knees, hips, and seat), but I haven't done the work yet.

To answer your question, I think you're dead on. If the kid can hold on securely, and he has the desire and the ability to follow instructions, then he can ride. With age and experience (you need both), the kid can ride farther and faster.
Curt

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Agreed. My 8 and 10 year olds ride with me and love it. As long as they are properly equipped, can follow instructions, are not afraid, and can reach the floorboards, they are fine. Last week, I took the 10 year old on an extended ride. He has AAD and I was uncertain what to expect. Long story short, we rode 200 miles around two of the Finger Lakes here in western New York, and he loved every minute of it. I was thrilled. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
You want to hear a story that will freak you out; this is one my brother did. My mom almost shot him. (This was about 18 years ago)

When my nephew was 1 my brother and his wife both rode, my brother pulled a trailer behind his. They said they were not going to let there son slow down there riding so my brother bolted a car seat to the seat rest bar on the back of his bike. Made a mobel(sp) that hung in front of his son with a pacifier, a bottle of water and two toys suspended from it. Found a helmet that fit him, don’t know where, they would strap my nephew in the car seat and off they would go. He had over 15,000 miles of riding in that car seat in a little over two years. My brother said he loved it. He is lucky my mom did not kill him!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

just as soon as their feet reach the pegs for me :wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can fall asleep on a bike. Trust me I have. Lol. I was 14 or 15 and on the back of a full dressed Harley with nice coushy leather seat with arm rests. We were cruising through Yosemite. What woke me up was when he went to slow down my helmet hit the back of his. :)
As far as letting kids ride. My opinion would be that if they can reach the pegs and hold on good then they should be okay but it would depend on where they were going. Personally I would feel more comfortable if there was a back bar. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kids riding gear

ZX6RRNewbie said:
You know what really sucks? Trying to buy riding gear for your kid, like a good mesh jacket or riding boots or small gloves! I had to buy womens extra small for my son! BTW HJC makes youth size helmets and they're pretty small.

Good luck and stay safe! :D

You're right! I've tried to find a mesh jacket and gloves for my small 10-yr old daughter that are like those I wear myself and it's just not available. Seems like the market should be there to produce the product!

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
boy this brings back memories. all my family has been riding motorcycles before i was born. (33 now) i can remember being 5yrs old and riding with my oldest brother sitting on the tank holding onto the cross bar on his XT550 (or whatever he had at that time) enduro. he would do wheelies and all with me sitting there enjoying every second. guess i had some influence to get into bike riding huh ? :wink:
its your choice about when to ride the kids. i dont have any so i cant say. i would have them on a bike ASAP if i was a parent though. unless they didnt like it. :?

·
Registered
837 Posts
:D my tall for her age 4 year old grand daughter went with me for a short ride for the 1st time the other day...we had a blast..when we got back home...she did'nt want to get off!!! 8) know what she'll be gettin for christmas :)

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
bud8fan said:
know what she'll be gettin for christmas :)
A nice matching Vulcan 800?

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
kids and bikes

My kids are 13 and 16. They just now became interested in motorcycle riding. Took my youngest son out on a short local rally. He wore a demin jacket and a open face helmet. Can't afford leathers yet....they grow too fast. Patrick loved it....my oldest son Joshua was a little afraid and very stiff at first, but I put him on my 750 with the sissy bar and after about an hour of steady, easy riding on some of the bendy roads around here, he was able to relax and enjoy himself. In the Spring or this coming summer we plan to go on a motorcycle trip as a family. It is important not to be pushy with kids and take it easy... I am working on the next generation of bike riders :lol:

Heather

1 - 15 of 15 Posts