Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,im back with a concern,this weekend was riding my classic 1600 my wife as passenger and every time i had to apply hard brakes she was sliding foward in top of my back. She stated that the position of the footpeg dont allow her to use her foot to push herself back or to maintain her position. This worries me, we can be in a ugly accident. Im looking to reposition the footpegs or change bike. Any comments! Thanks:eek:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well she wasn't holding to nothing, but we use to have a suzuki marauder 800 and never experience this situation. Still thinking in relocating footpegs or adding floorboards. Hate to get rid of this wonderful machine.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have rear floor boards, but they don't do much more than make her feet comfortable on trips. The hand rails keep my wifes helmet from nocking into mine.
I sat on the back of my 900, and I can see what you are sayng, I think the hand rails are the answer.

D

·
2007 VN900 LT
144 Posts
What is she holding onto? Do you have handles for her that connect to the seat? Mine work well two up. Menacycles.com
I was curious what you meant by hand rails. I checked meancycles.com and the only thing I found was this:

But that only works if you don't have a Sissy Bar / back rest. Are there hand rail that can be mounted to the sides? And who sells them?

·
Registered
119 Posts
My wife had the same problem. I added a sheepskin cover to the passenger area of the seat. That place from Alaska has some purdy ones.....

·
2007 VN900 LT
144 Posts

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Definitely breaking smooth and easy is important, but the passenger is responsible to pay attention to what is going on around her/him and riding accordingly. She/he should know if you are going to brake harder than usual by looking ahead and preparing her/himself. Passengers are riders, too. They can cause the bike to do things you don't want it to. A good passenger is one that you don't really feel is there.

·
Registered
498 Posts
1) Don't clean the passanger pillion with anything that makes it slippery.
2) There should be a strap accross her pillion to grab onto. If there is
nothing to hold onto, you could get a ticket in some states (I think mine).
3) Also push backwards towards her when you have to slam on the brakes.

·
08 Victory/12 Victory CCT
1,315 Posts
Well personally I like it when my wife slids onto me. Opps sorry were talking about bikes. Yes that can be problem but easy braking and maybe a pillion change would help. just a thought.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
An unusual problem. My wife has ridden on my 1600 numerous time without any problem. How hard are you braking to make her slide forward? Are you using any type of cleaner, Armor All or ?? to make the seat slippery? Hope you get to the bottom of this since the 1600 is an exceptional bike for most uses.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
/+1\ Also Check her pants...... I mean the type of pants, slick pants slide, cords don't

1 - 19 of 19 Posts