Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 500cc Vulcan LTD Cruiser, and, I love it! But, I would like to change one thing. I would like to know if there is a Belt-Drive Conversion Kit available for my bike. If not, has anyone made this conversion on their own? If so, I would like a list of parts available, and, where to obtain them. This winter would be a great time to perform such a project! I purchased this bike, after a botched knee surgery, to see if I could still handle a motorcycle. So far, so good. My wife even feels comfortable and secure, as a passenger. Great bike! But, I just want to make this small improvement. I look forward to your input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the link. It seems to be what I am looking for. I bought my bike, after a botched knee surgery, that nearly cost me my left leg. I wanted to find out if it would support a bike and a passenger. So far, so good. But, there are a few modifications I would like to make. My funds are kind of limited. Yet, who's aren't? Thanks for the info. Enjoy the holidays, and, God Bless!

Pastor C.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Caution,

I have no experience with these kits, however when I had an VN800 I considered it, alot, alot of people have reported problems. Belts breaking
and wearing out the output bearing.

Good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
I read somewhere that the wear on the bearing and the belt breakage was do to over tightening the belt. I just don't remember where it was, or who said it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the caution. I'll check into it. Your 900 looks great. What have you done to it? Do you think that the benefits of making the belt-drive conversion are outweighed by that potential problems? Since I became disbled, I can't afford to spend money on a process, that might cost me more money down the road. I have the rest of the winter to consider this modification. Thanks again.

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kevin,

Thanks for the Patriot Guard Riders link. Before I became disabled, I was a Security Officer for over sixteen years. My employer thought a security officer with a cane, wasn't a very good image, and, they fired me. I bought my Vulcan 500 to be sure I was capable of handling a bike, and, a passenger as well. Considering that the 500 is a little higher than some larger bikes, I am convinced, that I won't having a problem riding. So, you will now see, Pastor C, among the new members of PGR. Thanks again! I stopped by the Kawasaki dealer in Iowa City the other day, and, saw a 2008 1600cc Red and Black Vulcan Nomad. I think I'm in love!

Jeff,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts