Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I first heard of the PGR I've thought about how awesome it would be to be a member. What better way to show support and respect for our troops, and honor those that have fallen?

I'd join in a heartbeat, except....well, I ride a bright green sport bike. Despite the fact that I proudly sport 3 American flag decals on my ride I feel as though my presence would be more of a distraction than anything else. I've read the mission statement, and noted the part about "We don’t care what you ride or if you ride, what your political views are, or whether you’re a hawk or a dove. It is not a requirement that you be a veteran. It doesn't matter where you’re from or what your income is; you don’t even have to ride. The only prerequisite is Respect."...but looking at the pics of some of the rides, I don't see anything close to what I ride. The closest I've even read about have been guys riding FJR's or similar bikes.

So the question for you PGR guys is this - how would YOU feel about a sportie in your respective groups? What is a typical mission like for you?

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
The local chapter I belong to, didn't care or even raise an eyebrow when I showed up on my bright red Little Ninja, or my Connie, or even my Cage for that matter.

It was all good. ;-)

·
V2K In Torque We Trust
1,121 Posts
Hey Bennice,
I saw a couple of sporties at the ride I was on today. I don’t think they care what you ride I think their just so grateful for the support. I have not served in the military but I have huge respect for those that have and are. I was never so struck with the price that has and is being paid for my freedom as I was today. We owe everything that we enjoy in this country (USA) to our men and women in uniform. I was proud to stand with them today. To all those who have served and are serving now, GOD BLESS YOU and THANK YOU!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Here are a few shots of my last PG ride.

I ride my KLR650 for these rides. Nobody says boo about anyones bike. Period. This is about the ultimate sacrifice made by the service member we are there to honor. Nothing else.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Had a guy show up once on an old orange Concours wearing a full body lime green riding suit. He got ribbed a little, but he was a good sport and no one really cared what he rode in on.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
My father was a Vietnam vet. I served 9 1/2 years regular Army. I don't care what you ride or drive or how you dress. If you support those who've sacraficed for your freedom. Just do it. No shame. Personally I don't care if you ride a pink sport bike and look like Rosie Greer in a TooToo.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Last Monday evening, for my first time I met with several local PGR's at Huntsville Airport and was there for a soldier that had just finished his second tour in Iraqi. The soldier, as well as myself were 'touched" and I could tell it meant a lot to him because he was just expecting his family.
There is another soldier coming home in December and I gave my phone # & e-mail to several PGR's to give me a call.
Van's V2K post above, + 1, very well said! :smile:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Bennice....
It's all about honor, not how you get there.
Of the many missions I have had the honor to attended, I have ridden in formation next to a 70's triumph, an R6, a Ducati Monster, etc. etc. not to mention wings, connies, even had a guy show up for a local mission on a Honda trail 110!
I would be honored that you would choose to participate and not at all care what you ride. I feel a little on the outside sometimes too when I show up and I am the first metric in the bunch....till the rest of the gang shows up and that feeling quickly dissipates!
Join and ride, the respect and honor you show is worth far more than anyhting else!

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses everyone. This is exactly what I needed to hear. I think I'm going to move ahead with joining!

·
www.learntoride.org
1,364 Posts
Good. Welcome to you. I went in my car on a mission last week. There was some discussion about bikes, part of getting to know each other. The ride leader was on a Buell. The bike I really took notice of was a big Vulcan with Batman insignias. Hmmmm, wonder who that was.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Yup... You see a lot more big cruisers because members TEND to be older, and many are Viet Nam era vets, which fit the typical cruiser demographic.

We've had sportbikes, and even the occasional dual-sport participate. Cruisers all the way from 250cc Honda Rebels to Triumph Rocket-III.

I think another issue with the attraction to cruisers is it is much easier to install mounts for full-sized flags, as well as having the storage for water, clothing layers (show up at staging dressed for 45 degree weather and later stand for 2 hours in the hot sun), as well as collapsible flag poles to have "your own" flag in the line.

But none of these are really needed.... just your presence and respect, and you can bring that on a tricycle with a lawnmower engine.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
ive been wondering how to join and even if thereis a local group here in good ol' greenville NC. if anyone knows where i can join and when the next ride is let me know. i love our military and would love to show some support for them the only way i know how. thanks

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
ive been wondering how to join and even if thereis a local group here in good ol' greenville NC. if anyone knows where i can join and when the next ride is let me know. i love our military and would love to show some support for them the only way i know how. thanks
Patriot Guard Riders > Patriot Guard Forums - Americans Doing the Right Thing > Ride Information > PGR - Confirmed Mission Rides

The PGR is not a "club" and does not have meetings, chapters, and, with rare exceptions, does not have "rides"...

You "join" by posting an introduction on the forum, and you will soon be put on your area's mailing list.
Other than that, just show up at whatever missions you are able to.
You can go to every mission, or you can go to one a year... there are no restrictions.
If you vest has patches that contain obscene words, you may be asked to place a piece of tape over them.

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
I've registered but havent yet received an alert about a ride. I wish their registration was a little more organized but thats just a minor gripe.

·
V2K In Torque We Trust
1,121 Posts
I'm not sure but I don't think they alert you. You have to check the site, log in and look on the right side for mission info and than show up.
Merry Christmas,

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
I'm not sure but I don't think they alert you. You have to check the site, log in and look on the right side for mission info and than show up.
Merry Christmas,
Read somewhere there's an email alert list, but I could be mistaken. I'll have to look into it further.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If there is for the state you're in, contact a ride captain and they'll either get you on it or tell you who to talk to.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts