Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have had their bikes with a PCIII mapped on a dyno. How much difference is there between your map and the downloadable maps available for your bike?

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
First.... 1600 Classic, 3" Big Straights with H-K baffles plus additional hand fabricated baffles, PCIII USB.
What have you done to your bike that you believe it needs to be remapped?
My bike was dyno mapped at Daytona and it ran worse than crap and lost 10 mpg. It was so awful that I went with the DynoJet map closest to my configuration. It was dead dog sluggish in the mid-range and bogged off the line. Tried virtually all of the downloadable maps and none were very good. I now run the -000 map and love it. The bike hauls ***, never pops or sputters, will pull 5th gear smoothly from 40 mph, is quick off the line, and I have averaged nearly 46 mpg over the past 20,000 miles. If you are running just pipes, you do not need a fuel processor or dyno mapping. Interestingly, the Dynojet map for just pipes SUBTRACTS fuel at the lower throttle positions. So much for the "your bike is running dangerously lean so you need a fuel processor" argument. If you are going with just an aftermarket exhaust, forget the fuel processor and the dyno and you and your bike will be alot happier.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had an '05 V2K with the PCII, tornado intake and cobra pipes. I got it mapped at a local dealer and it ran like a bat out of hell, but it always ran real rich and afterfired a lot. I've got an '07 V2K now with the same tornado intake and PCIII, but this time I put HardKrome 2to1 Drag pipes on it and had it dyno tuned. The acceleration doesn't seem as abrupt, but smoother. The power is still there for sure, and it does not afterfire at all with the dyno tune. The more folks I talk to, seems like it really has more to do with who tunes it rather than the method.

·
One of Four
1,231 Posts
I had an '05 V2K with the PCII, tornado intake and cobra pipes. I got it mapped at a local dealer and it ran like a bat out of hell, but it always ran real rich and afterfired a lot. I've got an '07 V2K now with the same tornado intake and PCIII, but this time I put HardKrome 2to1 Drag pipes on it and had it dyno tuned. The acceleration doesn't seem as abrupt, but smoother. The power is still there for sure, and it does not afterfire at all with the dyno tune. The more folks I talk to, seems like it really has more to do with who tunes it rather than the method.
What he said. I think you get the most from a dyno tuned map provided it's done right. Just like tuning a carb it's all in the one doing the work.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
I went both routes on my previous C50T. I initially just downloaded the closest map from the DynoJet website. Ran better with my mods. When I ponied up for the custom map and dyno session, the numbers jumped even further. What I most noticed was the throttle response and the even power throughout the band. To me, it was money well-spent if you're going to add all these "performance mods", you may as well maximize them with a custom map that's made specifically for the motor in your particular bike with the mods you've added.

I'll definitely do it again. In fact, I'll be doing it on my Nomad shortly after Xmas once I do the CaddmannQ dual air intake mod. BTW, I have a 2006 Nomad 1600 with V&H Baggers, PCIII... just waiting for an air intake and custom map job!

Best,
Daryl

·
Ride Naked ..
2,607 Posts
in my exprience with PC111's , if you dont change your air intake (leave OEM air filter in) & only change your pipes a PC111 is not required ..

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
I was wondering how big the percentage differences were. I running one of Thunder Mfg's maps that is for the exact combination I'm running. Thunder Mfg intake and V&H Pro-Pipe. I tweaked some of the small throttle opening settings some. It runs very nicely, 13.0, 101 mph quarter mile, and gets better mileage than it did stock. Was looking for someone who had the "correct" downloaded map for their application and then had it dynoed and how much the dyno map differed.
For example, on the Suzuki C50T, I went from 45hp to 51hp. I don't recall the exact torque numbers, but I gained 1.7 ft.lbs of torque as well with the custom map over the downloaded map.

DS

·
Registered
58 Posts
Have a 06 1600 Nomad - did the K&N / V&H Baggers / and PCIII - bike went from 46 - 48 Mpg to 32 - 36 Mpg. Yest he thing went like a raped ape - but you could smell raw fuel alway!!! The stealer did numerous maps and custom maps ( they don't have a dyno but they have access to maps from a dyno guy nearby). I yanked the PCIII out and bike went right back up to 46 - 48 Mpg and really the power isn't that bad! The stealer exchanged the PCIII with a new one so I have a brand new one in a box that I am trying to decide fo I keep or just sell it off and call it a day!! Decisions decisions! So, I would say if you only want a Hot Rod and Bar hopper - go for the Air Kit / Pipes / PCIII and damed the mileage because the smiles will be unbelievable - but if you want to make it form place to place on the Highway - K&N & pipes should do just fine IMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts