Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a jacket that would be a good match for a meanstreak. I think I want to get the Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 perforated.

I've also been looking at helmets. I still have an old full-face helmet in the garage, but I was thinking about picking up the Vega XTS DOT-approved black leather half-helmet for tooling around town.

I'm in FL, and it's often ungodly hot down here which is a consideration for the jacket and the helmet (part of why I want a half-helmet option.)

First, does anybody have any experiences with a leather helmet or know anything I should pay attention to?

Second, what are your experiences with perforated jackets? I'm sure I'd be ditching the lining down here, so what do you like or not like about perforated jackets with the lining removed. thx.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 jacket and an Arai Quantum full-face helmet. I live in Mobile,AL on the Gulf Coast and it gets hot here, too. When I am stopped in traffic, I open the face shield of the helmet because I feel the heat. Otherwise, I find the riding in the summer to be tolerable as long as I am moving. The Arai quantum helmet has a multitude of vents that really work to keep me cool when riding. If I get really hot, I open the face shield about 1/2 inch to get more breeze inside, but this is a rarity for me even in the summer since the vents work so well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a non-perforated jacket, right? The main thing I'm wondering about is whether the perforation really helps, or if there's any reason (wears quicker, etc.) to avoid them...

I'm not sure what model my helmet is. I'd never get on the highway without a helmet but I'm in sprawling suburbia here. I got all the hot-rodding out of my system years ago. (When I got my first bike, I got pulled over for speeding 3 times in the first hour.) I'll be mainly puttering around town, and the full-face seems oppressive for that purpose.

I may not even wear a helmet for a trip up to the 7-11, etc. Heat's one issue, but I found it much less enjoyable to be on the bike with the helmet. I'm fairly claustrophobic anyway, etc. It's so hot here and so suburban (mile after mile of stop-lights, etc.) that I see riders daily in t-shirts with no helmets. I plan on taking the bike to the beach, down to the keys, etc. I guess I was thinking I'd do the full protection for the commute, then tool around the scene al fresco. I'd prefer to have more protection than less, but I'm not sure whether the perforated thing is more of a marketing idea or a proven and preferred way to keep cool.

Venting on a helmet's another idea i've looked into, but I've decided to keep the full-face I've got and get some sort of half-helmet. I'm just not sure if there are any problems with the leather-clad variety (the black leather would match the jacket, boots, etc.)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi ithinktherefore,

For the summer up here in the Northeast I purchased an Olympia AirGlide Mesh Jacket. It has full body armour and comes with a Bomber Jacket inner liner. The mesh works nicely even with the windshield on my Nomad. That inner liner when it gets cold cuts out all the wind. Its also a sporty jacket. I've received alot of nice comments on the jacket. Quality for a reasonable price.
Check out their website at:
www.OlympiaMotoSports.com

For the helmets I went with the new HJC Symax Modular. Like that front face flipup. When it gets really hot I'll wear the HJC Cruiser Half Helmet

DfgPilot

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
www.fieldsheer.com for a jacket. i have a mesh and a leather from them awesome product.the mesh works perfectly fine here in PHOENIX
as for a helmet, dont be an OLD MAN SQUID wear your gear. which would you rather do/have ........... a little sweaty or road rash/skin grafts ? ill take the sweat. :roll:
i wear a full face AGV (older model Q3R that they dont make anymore :cry: ) im moving to the X-VENT before long. :twisted:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Ithinktherefor,
Welcome to the board ypu can find a lot of good info here, I know I have.
I got a hien gericke with zippered mesh vents so I can control how much or how little air I let in, it also has removable body armor and it's pretty light. I've got a classic badass biker leather jacket from yrs ago for the harsh winters in southern california, he he, but seriously it is a great jacket for cold weather but it weights 15 lbs, and is several sizes too small. One thing to be carefull of is that leather can get very hot, very quick, my advise is to have several jackets or atleast one with adjustable vents to cover the largest possible portion of the riding season.
I've also got a denim jacket and a leather vest.
Helmets are a very personal choice and I can tell you that even a shorty gets sweaty in the summer. As far as when you wear your helmet, you'd be safer wearing around town and going without on the highway(statistically). There are a lot more hazards around town than on the open road. Also keep in mind that FL requires you to carry atleast 10K in medical insurance if you choose to not wear your helmet.
For anyone that wears a shorty try wearing a set of ear plugs, I did on my way back from Myrtle beach this year and it was a much nicer and enjoyable ride, try it an let me know what you think.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hot weather jackets

I'll jump in with my opinion on hot weather gear. I live in louisville, Ky and wear a Joe Rocket mesh jacket with armor in the heat. It definitely is breezy, like nothing more than a T-shirt with padding. I have a Sheoei synchrotec full face helmet that vents pretty well, but opening the face shield a little really lets the air in. Stats on accidents show a lot of jaw injury without a full face helmet, so I usually wear mine, but have an open face helmet too, not a shorty and the wind noise is well controlled at higher speeds, less fatiguing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 is a perforated textile and leather jacket with armor. It is cool while moving during the hottest summer days. I don't ride much during July and August, but when I do, the jacket is OK here in Mobile, AL.

The helmet is great as long as I crack the face shield open a little (1/4-3/4 in.) in very hot summer weather. It is a full face helmet.

As a physician, I see too many preventable injuries. I will never go without protective gear and I feel a full face helmet is a must. I know other people don't agree. All I can tell you is what I've seen. I practice in an urban medical school and so I see a lot of trauma - including motorcycle trauma. Most (not all, but certainly the vast majority) of the severe injuries and deaths occur because someone was not wearing a seat belt or other protective gear.

Is being cooler in hot weather worth the possibility of losing a part of your face? Just the disability alone might cost you your job as well as keep you off your bike for a long time or even permanently. Please, think about it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My halfer of choice is the Daytona Eagle. Check daytonahelmets.com, I think. It's carbon fiber so it's very light. Still looks like a mushroom but I'm not into those 1/2" thick novelty buckets. They might run a hair big too, since I wear a L in the HJC CL-14 for my full face but a M on the Daytona. Also, don't get the one with the visor. The buttons constantly unsnap. If you want a visor, put an aftermarket one on the regular Eagle. Just my $0.02.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts