Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
2006 Vulcan 500 LTD
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone owned both the Vulcan 500 and 900 bikes? Is there a big difference in the performance and handling?

·
This snow has got to go!
513 Posts
Yep, I have a 2007 Vulcan 500 LTD and a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom SE. The two aren't even comparable...the 900 outclasses it in every aspect.
well.....

the 500 has a higher top end (had the 500 over 125 and the 900 was wound out at about 115)... it's the ninja 500 engine so it's just a faster bike. I don't see the 500 getting left behind by more than a few seconds by the 900 light-to-light. The thing is that the 500 is a wrist workout. you are always going to be red-lining the 500. It's a high RPM bike and you will twist the throttle to the max in every gear... that's just how it is.

My 1st bike was the 500 and I had it for over 5 years so I love the 500. When I sit on one in the Kawasaki showroom now though I think "**** this is a tiny bike! how did I ever feel comfortable on this bike?"

I think performance is almost a wash really. I think it comes down to size, price, styling, and aftermarket support I think if you are deciding between the 500 and the 900.

Size = 500 is a good bike to start on but I'm only 5'8" (on a tall day) and the 500 feels small to me now. If you're bigger than that, advantage 900.

Price = the 500 is cheaper so advantage 500

Styling = 900 hands down... lets also throw in that it's FI and not carbureted here that's also a hands down win (do we eeven need to mention the 900 has a belt final drive comapared to the 500's cain?). IMHO no other bike in the Kawai lineup is close to the 900 in styling. Yeah the Meanstreak is 1 second faster in the 1/4 mile and 'wow is that V2K nice' but come on.. that 900 will turn more heads than either of those others.

Aftermarket support = if you like to add stuff to your bike the 900 blows the 500 out of the water here more than any other category. The 900 has TONS of aftermarket support and the 500 has almost none. There are some 'universal' (to me that means "doesn't fit anything") stuff that will work on the 500 but it can't hold a candle to the stuff available for the 900.

I'll finish this summary with this:

The 500LTD is a great bike and will hold a spot in my heart till the end of my days. It is really an awesome bike for the money. If you can afford the extra $3K though, I would go with the 900.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
Yeah the Meanstreak is 1 second faster in the 1/4 mile and 'wow is that V2K nice' but come on.. that 900 will turn more heads than either of those others.
Hold your horses...
Putting in a veto here. That's definitely not the case. The 900 is nice, but the MS gives a whole lotta more attention. I know you 900 guys is passionate about your 900's, but sometimes you gotta do a reality check... :biggrin: ;)

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
with nearly twice the CC, surely that alone will tell you that they're completely different bikes?

expect it to be:
bigger
heavier
faster
more torque-y
more expensive

:biggrin:

·
Registered
106 Posts
well.....

the 500 has a higher top end (had the 500 over 125 and the 900 was wound out at about 115)... it's the ninja 500 engine so it's just a faster bike. I don't see the 500 getting left behind by more than a few seconds by the 900 light-to-light. The thing is that the 500 is a wrist workout. you are always going to be red-lining the 500. It's a high RPM bike and you will twist the throttle to the max in every gear... that's just how it is.

My 1st bike was the 500 and I had it for over 5 years so I love the 500. When I sit on one in the Kawasaki showroom now though I think "**** this is a tiny bike! how did I ever feel comfortable on this bike?"

I think performance is almost a wash really. I think it comes down to size, price, styling, and aftermarket support I think if you are deciding between the 500 and the 900.

Size = 500 is a good bike to start on but I'm only 5'8" (on a tall day) and the 500 feels small to me now. If you're bigger than that, advantage 900.

Price = the 500 is cheaper so advantage 500

Styling = 900 hands down... lets also throw in that it's FI and not carbureted here that's also a hands down win (do we eeven need to mention the 900 has a belt final drive comapared to the 500's cain?). IMHO no other bike in the Kawai lineup is close to the 900 in styling. Yeah the Meanstreak is 1 second faster in the 1/4 mile and 'wow is that V2K nice' but come on.. that 900 will turn more heads than either of those others.
You honestly believe the 900 will turn more heads then the 125 cubic inch Vulcan 2000? In the motorcycle world the Vulcan 900 is still just Kawasaki's Sportster.

I don't think many people looking at the Sportster and say" ****! The Big harleys are nice But you can't beat a sportster for head turning eyecandy!"

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hold your horses...
Putting in a veto here. That's definitely not the case. The 900 is nice, but the MS gives a whole lotta more attention. I know you 900 guys is passionate about your 900's, but sometimes you gotta do a reality check... :biggrin: ;)
The MS is a nice bike but put the 900 beside it and the 900 gets the attention everytime.
I know you MS guys are passionate but give your head a shake. :biggrin:

·
Registered
230 Posts
You honestly believe the 900 will turn more heads then the 125 cubic inch Vulcan 2000? In the motorcycle world the Vulcan 900 is still just Kawasaki's Sportster.

I don't think many people looking at the Sportster and say" ****! The Big harleys are nice But you can't beat a sportster for head turning eyecandy!"

Next thing you know, your going to say the 900 is a chick bike.

·
Vulcan Regional Manager
480 Posts
The MS is a nice bike but put the 900 beside it and the 900 gets the attention everytime.
I know you MS guys are passionate but give your head a shake. :biggrin:

Haha, you're a funny guy! Ever thought of being a comedian professionally? ;) :biggrin:

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
i think you should both race the 1/4 mile to determine which bike looks the best... :rolleyes:

seriously, this is a stupid arguement and either of you can only comment on looks regarding how you personally feel about the bike.

And seeing as Rubbe has a MS, he's gonna prefer the MS; Bustcard/ScooterDude have 900s, so they're gonna perfer the 900.

problem solved.

now between the 500/900.... the 900 easilly wins.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Integrated Memory High Ouput

geeze, get and internet dictionary!

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
I found a nice VN500 for $800....I'm thinking I can't go wrong. 2006 model with 6000 miles. Back up bike or one for the old lady. If it happens I'll let ya know.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hey Rubbe, Rub this! You are really wrong on this one dude! I work with lots of fellers who ride Kawis. Nomads and Meanies, everybody at work thinks my bike is the coolest one in the motorcycle parking lot! People who don't ride don't know a thing about the size of your motor! They just like at the way the bikes looks! And I am sorry to tell you but they love my poor little 900Lt! At 6 foot tall and 260 pounds of log lifting muscle I have never been confused for a chick! So take it back or I will swim over there and kick yer A$$!:p

1 - 20 of 85 Posts