Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will sound stupid I know, but i just took a good look at my KZ's tank petcock for the first time and I'm a bit confused by the markings. To the front is marked RES, down is marked PRI, and to the rear is marked ON.

So...where should it be when I park it for a long time, and where should it be to run? And finally, what is PRI? Had a guy tell me to move it back (to ON) when parking it, but that doesn't make sense to me. Anyone know these markings?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,204 Posts
res - reserve when youre low on fuel
ON - its a vacum petcock so on flows when engine is running and stops when parked/off
prime - open at all times/flows at all times.... only for filling carbs after cleaning when bowls are empty (or after sitting a long time and fuel evaps from bowls... do NOT leave it on prime.. it can overcome your needles/seats and fill your engine with fuel..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it about RES and PRI (I kinda had PRI figured). So it can be left at ON all the time then including when parked.

Sometimes I have it parked for two or three weeks at a time, and it's always hard to start, so how does one use the PRI setting? Turn it to PRI for what, 5 or 10 seconds, and then back to ON and start it?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,204 Posts
yep you got it.... you can leave it on PRI till it starts if ya want.... just dont leave it there...
also if youre gonna park it that long you might want to use some STA-BIL in the tank at all times also... keeps the gas fresh since todays gas goes to crap real quick....

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Yes all correct.:wink: The one thing that can and will confuse the he11 of you is if the petcock itself is either got a bad diaphragm or,(and this is very common on older bikes)sediment and dirt will build up inside the petcock and its sealing surfaces causing it to leak in any position. I would carefully dismantle(paying close attention to order of assembly)and clean it and its components to insure its proper operation.Holding the diaphragms up to bright light will show any cracks or holes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.