Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching, no luck so here's my question:

What's the trick to stopping fuel flow from the tank when removing the petcock?

Or, maybe a better question is what's the best way to replace the petcock diaphragm? Mine is leaking (of course).

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Where did you get the petcock kit ? i wonder if its the same as the 1500 classic.My res started leaking at the end of the season ,i didnt know they were rebuildable

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where did you get the petcock kit ? i wonder if its the same as the 1500 classic.My res started leaking at the end of the season ,i didnt know they were rebuildable
I'm new to Kawis (am a Duc guy) so can't speak to similarity between the 1500 and 1000, sorry. I just assumed if a component has failed it can be replaced - maybe I'm wrong :confused:

Anyway, I called it diaphragm but maybe I've misidentified the part - can anyone pls tell me what the orangish vertically oriented pc is between the cover assys? That's (but on the front side) where the hole/leak is.

I guess if I can answer my earlier questions above - and open the petcock assy - I can tell if anything inside is bunk.

[/IMG]

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
Tried searching, no luck so here's my question:

What's the trick to stopping fuel flow from the tank when removing the petcock?

Or, maybe a better question is what's the best way to replace the petcock diaphragm? Mine is leaking (of course).

Thanks for your replies.
Empty the tank first. You can do this by pulling the fuel line and running it into a gas jug. This petcock replacement is best done with the tank removed.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Are you referring to the entire assy generally as diaphragm or is there one component that is the diaphragm? By 'them' sounds like you mean the former.
Diaphragm is a replaceable part within the petcock and by "them" I meant the petcocks are rebuildable. The kit you get will look something like this.

I don't recall getting the 3 small washers (2 clear,1 black) in a kit. The large o-ring and disc with holes in it will go in the front side behind the lever. The diaphragm and spring will go in the back side. The yellowish section of your petcock is a spacer that creates a space for the diaphragm to flex when vacuum is applied. There is a small o-ring attached to the back side of the diaphragm (not visible in pic) . Pay close attention to the metal surface area where this o-ring presses against when installed. It needs to be very smooth and clean or you petcock will still allow gas to flow even after the kit has been installed and no vacuum applied.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts