Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so excited--my first question as a new member! :D

Has anyone installed Phat Risers II on a Nomad? I am trying to decide between them and the regular Phat Risers. I am just afraid that the II's might be too much pull back--could end up crowding me. At the same time I'm concerned that the Phat Risers won't pull back enough. Does anyone know if these parts can be returned if they don't fit me properly?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
159 Posts
Phatt Risers

You must be talking about scootworks Phat risers. they make a great product and are great people to talk to. give them a call and tell them how tall you are and what your expecting from the risers. they just might be able to figure it out for you and tell you the best possible one for your bike and height. I bought a set of phatt risers for my vulcan 800 classic and they set up and back just right. In fact when i ordered longer cables for the bike from another place, they came only in 6" and 15" longer lengths. the 6 inch worked but were a little long. Scootworks now sells cables that are 4 inches long just for their risers. So, they really know their stuff. Had a problem with the rear tire scrubbing the fender. ( wife rides with me most of the time) they sent me a rear suspension modification kit that worked just fine. their instructions are perfect and their products flawless. Their great people to talk to. Give them a call.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I had ordered Phatriser II's for my 1600. They sent me the Phatriser's instead. Then they sent the correct part. So having seen both- the difference is about an inch between the two. The Phatrisers are about an inch shorter and are a much 'phatter' riser. Phatriser II is a little taller with a little more pullback- but the difference is only about and inch, maybe 2.

So no, I don't think Phatrisers II would cramp your space. Like I said, Scooterworks sent me the wrong risers, but took care of the problem with no hassles, so I highly recommend them.

Phatboy

·
Registered
439 Posts
Those are the risers i am thinkin of too. Be sure and let everyone know how u like 'em !

·
Registered
302 Posts
Phatt Risers

Scott,
I went with the Phatt risers on my 1500 Classic FI and love them. There is just enough clearance up on your speedo and I was able to install them without changeing any of my control cables( saves alot of$) . The install is simple and Scootworks people are great help on the phone. I,m 5"8 with fairly short arms and these give me enough of a bend in my elbows to be very comfortable, with better control over the bike.
Hope This Helps!
Lonestar

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone,

The feed-back is helpful. I'm going to give them a call to talk it over.

Lonestar,
I'm 5' 7" with short arms so it sounds like we have similar proportions. The Phat risers might be just what the doctor ordered.

I'll let everyone know what I go with.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the new 1600 Nomad. I had the dealership install the Phat II risers. No problems with the lines or when turned to full lock. They fit perfectly. I am 5'10" with 34" arms. I love the amount of pull back and hieght.
My problem, is that I have had the bike for 9 days now and due to rain and snow, I haven't had a chance to ride.
bob

·
VRA National President
203 Posts
I think that's one of Murhpy's Laws rgmbu... the chance of rain or snow is directly proportional to the eagerness you have in trying out a new mod on your bike. Next time you install something cool, try pretending that you don't give a sh*t and maybe the sun will shine. :smile: (Can Murphy be fooled? :? )

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rgmbu said:
I have the new 1600 Nomad. I had the dealership install the Phat II risers. No problems with the lines or when turned to full lock. They fit perfectly. I am 5'10" with 34" arms. I love the amount of pull back and hieght.
My problem, is that I have had the bike for 9 days now and due to rain and snow, I haven't had a chance to ride.
bob
Thanks rgmbu, I think I am going to order them. Bummer about the weather. :( We have full snow cover right now. I spent the morning cleaning off the drive. :mad: Dreaming of 70 and sunny...

Scott

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Scott - if you are still around, I'd love to know how you made out with the risers. I'm 5'9" with 30" arms and find my shoulders aching after an hour or so. I'm betting some risers would help.

I'm looking at the Aeromach risers and the ones by Scootworks. I'm curious to hear how you made out with them as far as fit, finish, install ease, cable routing, and how it affected your riding position and comfort. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
They areomachs are chrome while the phats are polished aluminum. I'm attaching a pic of my phat II's

Ken sez
I'm looking at the Aeromach risers and the ones by Scootworks. I'm curious to hear how you made out with them as far as fit, finish, install ease, cable routing, and how it affected your riding position and comfort. Thanks in advance.
Fit- they fit great. To the bike/ to me / whatever? works good
Finish- mine could use a good polish, but still shines like chrome
Install ease- once you get the old risers out it is a breeze
Cable routing- none needed for me. My brake line is a little tight though
Riding position- I can lean back more now =)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Thanks for the info Phat - you've helped me make up my mind. This is definitely the next add-on for my bike! Thanks again.

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ken said:
Scott - if you are still around, I'd love to know how you made out with the risers. I'm 5'9" with 30" arms and find my shoulders aching after an hour or so. I'm betting some risers would help.

Ken,

I did purchase the Phat II's and I love them. :grin: I have been on a 400 mile day ride and they felt great. I felt better than a 300 mile day on the stock risers.

As far as the cables go, I didn't re-route and everything is OK. The brake line is a little tight but hasn't had any ill effects. I am thinking of possibly getting a new brake line though just in case the tension is too much for it.

All in all, I'm glad that I got them. The ride is much more comfortable.

Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
rgmbu said:
bob
RGMBU,

I just got the th Phat IIs for my 1600 Nomad. I used the offset holes, and I noticed a little flex in the risers if I pull on the bars. Do any of you that have the PhatII's have this same flex? Is it normal?

Thanks
-Scott

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
scypher said:
RGMBU,

I just got the th Phat IIs for my 1600 Nomad. I used the offset holes, and I noticed a little flex in the risers if I pull on the bars. Do any of you that have the PhatII's have this same flex? Is it normal?

Thanks
-Scott
Scott,

My Phat II's are on good and tight but I noticed the flex too. Don't know if they should though.

Scott

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just installed the Phat II risers on my 05 Nomad, and I like em -but that brake line has me concerned. I even slide the brake handle/mirror thingy up the bar a 1/2" to give the line some relief. Before it was like a guitar string, now it flexes maybe 1/2"-3/4" when gently pushed -is that what the rest of you guys are seeing ?

Scootworks has a tip to move the line behind the trees, but I'm afraid that job may be beyond my capabilities -especially on a bike less than a month old :( I'm gonna watch is close and replace that line if problems arise.

I suspect the flex in the bars mention earlier in this thread is partly caused by the use of the off-center hole, but it looks like it should hold up anyway...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just installed the Phat II risers on my 05 Nomad, and I like em -but that brake line has me concerned. I even slide the brake handle/mirror thingy up the bar a 1/2" to give the line some relief. Before it was like a guitar string, now it flexes maybe 1/2"-3/4" when gently pushed -is that what the rest of you guys are seeing ?

Scootworks has a tip to move the line behind the trees, but I'm afraid that job may be beyond my capabilities -especially on a bike less than a month old :( I'm gonna watch is close and replace that line if problems arise.

I suspect the flex in the bars mention earlier in this thread is partly caused by the use of the off-center hole, but it looks like it should hold up anyway...
Hey Bud,

I also installed Phat II on my 2007 Vulcan Classic LT and I was a bit nervous on doing the job myself. But then I said if I am capable of handling this beast on the road then I am capable of working on it as well. So I just took my time and read the instructions ScootWorks sent me and all was well. I am not going to tell you I was not nervous on doing the job but when I was done and did it right to include following the torque values for the steering nut all was well.

Its a awesome bike and by working on it my self I have got to know my bike alittle better than I did before and thats a good thing. I am the type of person that its has to be perfect and if there is a scratch it has to be replaced mannnnn... over the years of owning different bikes this has cost me alot of CASH I could of used for something else like a mod, or taking my chick out to dinner. I guess with age comes wisdom and I don't sweat the small stuff because its all small stuff when you think about it.

Peace,

Russ
ROG #525
VROC # 24951

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got the riser extensions for my stock risers from scootworks. I have a 2006 900 classic LT. Has anyone tried these? I was gonna go eith the Phat II's, but these were cheaper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts