1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
I lived once 20 years in the country where they used to make precision watches..they have so many tunnels and galleries ( half open tunnels) that wearing a photochromic face shield would react too slow on the sudden light chances that I changed to my old polaroid sunglasses back as a 30 ton truck was "just" standing there outside the tunnel. Back then I had sunglasses which worked the same. I used to drive there and peeking slightly over my sunglasses..it worked out for me all those years. Here in TX is the sun very bright..wish they had welding glasses a bit brighter lol. Am sure today with all the good stuff in technology they should be able to create something what reacts quick enough..back then it wasn't working out for me. Firefighters in jets were I think the first ones and then in the Fornel one they picked it up too. Interesting theme.

·
Administrator
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have to wonder though, if the technology has improved over time.
If it does not react fast enough for tunnels, one could always raise the shield, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have to wonder though, if the technology has improved over time.
If it does not react fast enough for tunnels, one could always raise the shield, right?
You're right..raise the shield.. and almost close your eyes for all the giant bugs flying in high speed towards you. I know for sure that somewhere are all the good stuff plans deep burried in a drawer and one day it will find it's way out and got a place somewhere in the army. Am looking forward maybe Shoei got it done right. The reviews look good it needs competition for us to get that price down..smile

·
Registered
313 Posts
At that price, you could buy a pair of prescription glasses that do the same thing. I have a pair. They do suck behind a car windshield though as the u.V. blocking in the windshield does not allow the tingting glasses to work. It's U.V. light that makes them lighter or darker. ;)

·
Administrator
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks guys. You probably saved me a ton of money. Now then, what about the built-in retractable shaded visors?
Those seemed like a good idea. Tint is quite dark and they tilt up and down quickly.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I used to ride with UVEX goggles inside my full face helmet. Eventually, I settled for glasses, as I wore them anyways. I didn't like the variable tin, so I have a pair of shades, and a clear pair, for the tank bag, when riding at night. I once had a pair with clip on shades, but they were too heavy. They left dent marks on my nose. ;)

·
Administrator
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wear prescription glasses also and generally find sun to be a problem. If I wear sunglasses or clip-ons, we run into the same tunnel problem as mentioned by Mitch. Same applies to riding in late afternoon as the sun goes down, or dark clouds appear. Photochromic eyeglass lenses have the same "slow to react" issues.

Motocross riders have this problem beat, by wearing peaked helmets. I wonder why we cannot design a peak that would work on a street helmet? I realize that wind uplift could be a problem especially at high speed and you look up in the sky.

All of this brings me back to internal sun visors. Any feedback on these?

·
Super Moderator
11,053 Posts
I wear an HJC modular helmet with the flip-down visor and I love it! Quick & easy. I wear my RX sunglasses and flip it at will, especially when on high glare white concrete highways. I'm on my 3rd helmet with it and a helmet not having one regardless of fit and comfort is a deal breaker.

The other thing I do is with Scotch 33+ electrical tape. Not the cheap Walmart/AutoZone crap but good stretchy top quality tape. I put 3 strips across the top of my visor. Depending on whether I crack open the visor 0, 1 or 2 clicks it acts as an adjustable sun visor in an auto for early morning east or late afternoon west riding.

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the built in sun visors in both of my helmets. I can drop them just a bit to act the same as the tape others used, or put them all the way down. They are always with you and you can operate them on the fly. No need to stop to change glasses. Many tunnels have warnings to take off your sun glasses. Some in my area have extra bright lighting at the start and end, then go darker.

Quick lighting transition are a challenge for any visor or glasses. The drop down is quicker but you still have to take your hands off your controls to operate them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What a crock! One hand, less than two seconds. Not exactly riding with "hands off controls."
Sorry I implied both hands. You are right it is only one hand at least until you can get goggle to do it for you.

As a super moderator I would think you could have expressed your self without being insulting.

·
Administrator
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Googles are great unless you need prescription glasses. Good video. Thanks for posting that Mitch. However after all that visor knowledge, I think I will try rbentnail's suggestion of electrical tape. I always love a cheap solution.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts