Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Probably not, I havent been able to find the BP bulb yet anywhere but have been told it's $10, the PIAA cost me $45. Works great though.

·
Vegas Vulcan
1,161 Posts
Probably not, I havent been able to find the BP bulb yet anywhere
Your NAPA dealer should be able to order one for you if it isn't in stock. I had trouble finding one locally but mainly it was the fault of the guy behind the counter. Once you mention the word "motorcycle" their mind closes and you might as well be asking for a delivery from Mars.

As far as the BP vs PIAA, I've heard the latter doesn't last as long and at 4 times the price it would be prohibitive for me. The BP is VERY bright.

·
Wet Behind the Ears
62 Posts
Exactly. I got the stupidest look from the guy behind the counter at NAPA. He first gave me the standard H4 60/55 and told me "it's the only one we carry." About 5 minutes into trying to explain to him that I had already called ahead and they said they had them in stock, he finally opened up the book and found the "off-road only" 100/80. I bought the only 2 they had ($10.99 each). That way I won't have to go back to that horrible place for the next 2 years or so.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I haven't used the PIAA's but I did order the Hella bulbs in the 100/130 configuration, they only run $12 each with about 5 bucks shipping, I will have some pics up shortly

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
Your gonna be pushing your luck with that 100/130..... Rich will be here to explain Lol.... Ill do my best thou.... Basically the stock system can only handle the 100 watts because its a 10amp fuse... 130watts divided by 14volts is 9.28amps... You are 92% of that fuse which will probly cause it to blow. Thats if your pushing 14 volts... anyways Rich is alot smarter than i am so he can explain it fully..

·
Registered
287 Posts
Your gonna be pushing your luck with that 100/130..... Rich will be here to explain Lol.... Ill do my best thou.... Basically the stock system can only handle the 100 watts because its a 10amp fuse... 130watts divided by 14volts is 9.28amps... You are 92% of that fuse which will probly cause it to blow. Thats if your pushing 14 volts... anyways Rich is alot smarter than i am so he can explain it fully..
nah, it'll be good....I actually ordered another headlight as well with glass lens and metal back to withstand a little more heat.
I'm made a standalone harness for it with relays so it can handle it. The headlight and future HID light bar will be running off this and will be able to return back to stock config in about 2 min with quick connectors.
the main concern is going to be the pattern with the stock lens, if that looks ok, I'll be keeping that, but I've used this other lens on a couple of the off road rigs I've built and I've been very happy with the pattern...hopefully I'll get it going and some pics shortly!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I'd change the whole shebang.
Even with the BP1210, the low beam STILL cuts off about 30 ft ahead of you.

It's MORE usable at night than the stocker, and you don't find you're constantly heading off the road, but it still sucks.

Don't know if the problem is in the reflector or the lens cut.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'd change the whole shebang.
Even with the BP1210, the low beam STILL cuts off about 30 ft ahead of you.

It's MORE usable at night than the stocker, and you don't find you're constantly heading off the road, but it still sucks.

Don't know if the problem is in the reflector or the lens cut.

Rich, you're prob right on that 100%, the bulb obviously isn't going to change the pattern(unless its a wacky design), I can't see where the reflector is causing it so I'm guessing the goofy design on the lens, this weekend after I wrench on the trail rig I'll set up some pics against a white background with some measurements on it so we can see how it goes...I'll use the stock housing with both lights and the aftermarket housing as well...I can't see keeping the stocker, but we'll see how it goes, the other thing for everyone else is going to be you'll have to take into consideration the fact I'll be bypassing vitually all of the factory wiring other than the stock lead being used to trigger the light relays

hopefully this will make for some good results that will help everyone

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Someone from kawasaki should either ride a kawasaki at night or read the fourms and then recall all headlights before someone gets hurt!

seriously it should not be up to us to add a light bar or a better bulb to see where we are going.

i am 49 years old and been riding street bikes since im 19 and by far this is the worst lighting of any bike i have ever rode

so far its the only complaint i have with the 900

as far as the bp bulb i took the number of the bulb into my local napa and they had it in a day for me, great improvement!

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
+1 on the BP1210 being much brighter than the stock bulb. You will even have people in the day time flash their lights at you on occasion if you are on high beam.

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
I raised the elevation of my stock headlight just a tad, and with my kawi light bar, it has improved my night driving 1000%. I didn't raise it up so much that i get flashed at night. I got flashed every once in awhile,but I lowered the beam on my left side light and I have had no further problems. I drive in a wooded, narrow road at night nearly every night, weather permitting. I had to do something. The stock dim light was entirely too dangerous. i overran my lights at 60mph. During the day, I use my low beam with my lightbar. I think 3 lights are better than just 1 bright light. IMO. Craig

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Low beam is useless to me as well....But high beam...WOW with a BP1210.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts