Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my bike today and it is awesome, I was able to ride it for a few miles and man am I impressed. The bike felt a lot heavier than my 800b and I was slightly concerned before letting the clutch out and taking off. As soon I got moving the concern was gone. The bike handled awesomly and turned on a dime. I made a turn around the block with my daughter on the back and it still handled like a dream. The pipes sound a little subdued at an idle but when you get on the gas it has a real nice sound to it. The torque feels great when you roll on the throttle and now I just have to wait until the snow melts.

I have a feeling I will be doing some cold weather riding as soon as the streets are dry. My cheeks are starting to hurt because of the constant smile. :grin:

Have a great day,
DJ

·
Registered
506 Posts
Centerpunch,i hear ya boy! I very well know how you feel! You won't even be able to sleep at night for thinking of that new bike. What color did ya get? Not even gonna ask what extras you're gonna put on it,but i know you have a big list already!! Con grats on a new member of the family!!! See ya, Kenny in North Carolina........

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Hey....Can we ride it to? :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey whistle, where is Albion. I am somewhat familiar with Washington but I don't recognize the name. I plan on riding up Highway 97 through eastern Oregon and Washington on my way to Alaska this summer. Is Albion any where near?

Hey Kenny, I got the blue and silver and it is georgeous. I am putting spotights, eletronic cruise control, tach, gauges, saddlebag liners, saddlebag racks, communication system, and me on the bike. Of course I am not going to do it all at once. I'm not going to mess with performance yet because I am very pleased with the power already, Who knows in a year I'll probably want more.

By the way, anyone ever name their bike. My wife says I should name him Thor. Sounds pretty manley to me :cool:

DJ

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
centerpunch said:
Hey whistle, where is Albion. I am somewhat familiar with Washington but I don't recognize the name. I plan on riding up Highway 97 through eastern Oregon and Washington on my way to Alaska this summer. Is Albion any where near?
DJ

I live 10 miles from Pullman (Eastern Washington)....Washington State University is located there. You know.....Go Cougs! LOL :)

Good name for your bike! I haven't even given mine a name yet. :shock:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Great Bike centerpunch, let the games begin with modifications. Once you start it gets habit forming. Some great ideas here in the forum. Enjoy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats on the bike. I too have a 1600 Noamd and today was my first ride.

Took the new 1600 Nomad out today for the first time. It has been sitting in the shed since Dec. 30th when the dealer dropped it off. Temperature today is a toasty 35F degrees. Rode for 48 miles. I went from a Yamaha V Star 1100 at 600 lbs to the Nomad which weighs in at 800lbs. The highway miles were superb and such a smooth ride. Nice large mirrors with no vibration providing a wide clear view. The bike stayed perfectly straight when I let go of the bars. Nice acceleration. Smooth gear shift. Wish the toe shifter was a little longer (extend out further left to right from the bike). Found the Phat II risers made the maneuvering in the parking lot fairly easy and put my hands in a real nice riding position.

So, not only was today my first ride but I also got that dreaded “when will I drop it” out of the way too. Stopped in the yard to open the gate and the front tire got stuck behind the patio brick walkway. I tried to turn the wheel to line the bike up and slowly, ever so slowly, it tilted to the right and just kept going . It came to rest on the grass. Took every ounce of energy I had to lift it back upright. Not a mark on it, not even mud from the lawn.
Fist ride - First blunder. Glad I got those out of the way

Bob from RI

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Whistle,
I work with a girl who went to Washington state. She is a rabid fan. One of the best college game Ive seen is when the Cougs played the Ducks the year they went to the Rose bowl. Great Game.

You live in the same kind of terraine I do. Mountains, Forest, Desert. It makes for a great variety of riding. If I get up that way I will let you know.

Hey Bob.
Way to get the drop out of the way. I'm glad it wasn't damaged. Is this an awesome bike or what?

We have been having freezing rain all day long and it is supposed to continue for a few days. A couple of years ago we had snow on the ground in the fall and it stayed for 100 days. I sure hope that doesn't happen this year. The first day we have dry roads I am going to be on them. I don't care if it's 20 degrees.

Enjoy your new bike
DJ

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
centerpunch....I remember that also. ;)

I'd be happy to ride with you. By the time we get some warmer weather...I suppose it'll be like when we were kids and our mothers couldn't get us to stop playing outside to come in and eat. :) Ride...Ride...Ride is what we'll all be doing I'm sure!

Where in Oregon do you live?

Bob....glad your enjoying that awesome bike.

My first blunder was when I was on campus here and turning into a very wierd angled parking lot and my left floorboard caught the pavement and the bike tried to lay down. I was able to catch it but metal s****ing pavement doesn't sound very good and gets the attention of others nearby. :shock:

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
CenterPunch, don't forget that with the purchase of a new 2005, you get a free enrollment in the new Kawasaki rider Plan for 1 year.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Centerpunch,
So glad you asked that question about if anyone names their bikes. I was too embarrassed to ask, although I certainly wondered if I was the biggest oddball. I named mine "Sassy", and although she's not speaking to me at the moment, you'll hear me screaming when she wakes up! I'm beginning surgery tomorrow, and we'll see how many weeks it takes this novice to say "She's alive!" :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Congrads on the new bike,,,Isnt their a rule on this board that says any member can ride someones new bike???

Just kidding.lol

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Ya know....I actually have given my bike a name and didn't even realize it. In several posts on these forums I have used the words "Attitude Adjuster" to describe what my bike does for me every time I ride it.

Attitude Adjuster it is. :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good replies all,
Attitude adjuster sums it up just right. I bought an mp3 player last summer and find if I head up into the hills, crank up some 70's rock and roll and forget all about having to pay bills and work for a living.

By the way, I just built a larger set of lowers for Thor and he likes them. I was able to buy a piece of Plixiglass at Home Depot for 12 bucks. Made a cardboard template and finished the new lowers in a couple of hours. I can't wait to try them out at about 75.

By the way, I got the idea to name the bike from my 16 year old daughter. She named her Jeep, Lou Ann. My brother wanted to name Thor, Bluebell, but I wasn't going to go for that. He thought it was pretty funny. I think he is adopted.

DJ

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Man....we sound alike. I rode 3000 miles this past summer on a 10 day vacation listening to MP3 music and really got lost in the miles and camping. Nothing better than a break from the work week and home routine. I long for that again!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the blue/silver 1600 Nomad. Some friends asked me if I named her. So after thinking about it for awhile, I came up with "Blue Balls". Thought it might be fun to say, "I'm taking my blue balls out for a ride today or just sitting on my blue balls", or........... you get the hint.
bob

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I did not personally name my bike, my buddy came up with Robin because its Black over Red and it reminded him of Batmas sidekick. It fits

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
centerpunch said:
Good replies all,
Attitude adjuster sums it up just right. I bought an mp3 player last summer and find if I head up into the hills, crank up some 70's rock and roll and forget all about having to pay bills and work for a living.

By the way, I just built a larger set of lowers for Thor and he likes them. I was able to buy a piece of Plixiglass at Home Depot for 12 bucks. Made a cardboard template and finished the new lowers in a couple of hours. I can't wait to try them out at about 75.

By the way, I got the idea to name the bike from my 16 year old daughter. She named her Jeep, Lou Ann. My brother wanted to name Thor, Bluebell, but I wasn't going to go for that. He thought it was pretty funny. I think he is adopted.

DJ
I think I will name my bike Max...as in No-"Mad Max" :wink:

Congrats on the acquisition of Thor!

Scott

1 - 20 of 30 Posts