Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I just wanted to start by saying thanks to all those friendly and helpful folks willing to share their experience and knowledge about this sport we all love!

The only reason I originally even bought a motorcycle was so I could actually afford parking downtown Minneapolis and save money on gas, I quickly learned that there was allot more to the experience that financial savings and easy parking.

First Bike 2000 Kawasaki KLR650 1999-2002

Pro's: Awesome first bike, must have dropped\went down on that thing 20 times (mostly off-road)nothing damaged but a little bent metal and broken plastic never had a single mechanical issue always started even in the winter! A ton of fun to know I could just drive off the road at anytime and head off into the woods or down any dirt road or fire trail without having to think twice.

Cons: Semi-poor fit and finish, choke lever broke the 2nd day I had it, some chinsy metal pieces mostly bolts and levers no big deal. Poor speed performance but PERFECT for a first bike.

Most of my riding was on the road so the bike wasn't all that great for that, handling was so so and nobbies made for and interesting time riding in rush hour those first couple of years, but great for riding around cars in the ditch and jumping traffic medians! Miss this bike allot so when I can afford it I want a Honda XL650r for some more serious off roading.

Next bike
02 Suzuki SVS

Pro: Is an awesome bike couldn't have made a better choice for a 2nd bike, plenty of power under 100 mph, very flickable, cheap\easy to work on, tons of upgrades and really unique and cool look IMO.

Cons: low tech suspension too little power over 100 (but hey the speed limit is 70mph here anyways)

Overall I don't think there's a better bike out there for a first time Sport rider that’s responsible enough for that level of performance. Don’t be fooled the SV will get you inot bigtime trouble B4 you know it.

So I've ridden for 5 seasons without a MC license almost exclusively in rush hour traffic on the freeway and haven’t been pulled over or went down yet I figure I must be doin something right.

I start my MSF courses Thursday and hope to pickup some useful tips and advise from the course, looking forward to the advanced class in the future and hopefully some track time when I have the time off work and money to spend.

I just got approval from my bank to trade my SVS in on an 04 ZX 636.

I'd like to do some good reading if anyone has ideas and any other advise about the safety class and switch from t he SVS to the 636 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only person not intimidated by a bike >250cc as a first bike. I'm also glad to see someone else that agrees with me that a dirtbike is one of the better ways to go if you're a beginner (grass and dirt is so much softer than asphalt, nes pas?).

As for the lack of license, were you riding with a permit each year or just riding illegally? :?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well off and on, most of the time I had a permit but if it expired towards the end of the riding season somtimes I'd just let it go. Wierd the cops never hasseled me, I guess it's casue I didn't drive like a TOTAL maniac and I ALWAYS wear all my gear, I don't expect everyone to do that thats just how I feel comfy.

Closest I came to getting pulled over was a cop pulling along side me and flashing his light and relling at me over the intercom! :oops:

and yea by far a dualsport\dirtbike is by FAR the best way to learn how to ride a motorcycle and handle emergency situations and road hazards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts