Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
WFO Enthusiast
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does that procedure in the sticky actually work? Anyone ever tried it? That is the exact opposite of what I was taught. And it seems the harder way to do it.

·
WFO Enthusiast
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was taught to turn the bars all the way to the right(if bike is laying on the left side), grab the very end of the grip closest to the ground and lift. You get way more leverage. I've picked up a lot of bikes using this method. Even picked some full dress bikes up this way that fell over on a slope on the side of the road(tires on the high side, tank/bars on the down side).

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Sounds to me (correct me if I misunderstood) like you're doing a dead lift to raise the bike. Works for you, but someone like me, who threw out his back doing dead lifts, it doesn't work so good. Walking backward is far easier...as it pretty much makes it impossible to lift with your back.

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Bubba has a good point and the videos are the proper safe lift way...not every one can dead lift their bike.

i know i have to be super careful with the V2K it is a beast

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
I "dead lift" my bike too. I don't have a problem doing it. I guess I don't know my own strength.

·
Addicted to riding…
1,892 Posts
Does that procedure in the sticky actually work? Anyone ever tried it? That is the exact opposite of what I was taught. And it seems the harder way to do it.
I just dropped my bike in the grass because I was riding in a ditch (I know, why would I do that…?) to get around the gate on my driveway. I dropped the bike and had the presence of mind to remember this technique. It TOTALLY worked and without hurting my back. I was so proud of the fact that I picked up my bike myself without needing my boyfriend's help! :lol:

If you have a beater bike to practice with, have someone lay it down for you (or do so yourself) and practice this technique. As women, our strength is in our legs, so using those as leverage is much better than trying to stand your bike up with your back and butt, as some techniques suggest. That makes no sense to me…

·
Addicted to riding…
1,892 Posts
I was taught to turn the bars all the way to the right(if bike is laying on the left side), grab the very end of the grip closest to the ground and lift. You get way more leverage. I've picked up a lot of bikes using this method. Even picked some full dress bikes up this way that fell over on a slope on the side of the road(tires on the high side, tank/bars on the down side).
Da*n… I would NOT want to pick up a cruiser with most of its weight on the downhill slope! Good on ya for doing so! :-D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts