Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may have mentioned this back in April.
I was doing some work to the Ninja and one of the items on the "to-do" list was change plugs.
I have always used spark plug anti-seize on the threads and tighten to specs.
This time I had a wee problem as plug #1 broke off in the head. :eek:
As you can see from the photo I had a slight issue on my hands.
What I didn't know was if the plug had broken due to it being seized in the head or if it was just bad luck
that day with the tools.
Like many DOHC engines the plug sits inside a tube and it was going to be a reach with the use of
my "easy-out" kit.
The next day it was like only +5c but I managed to get it removed rather easily sparing me extra headaches and possibly the removal of the head from the engine.
I was not worried about bits falling into the combustion chamber as the bike still had three other cylinders to use if #1 was a bit weak from debris damage.;)

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
never seize on a spark plug insulates it from the head, thereby not allowing the heat to soak off into the head as it was designed to do. I have seen plugs break like that on drag car engines that went lean when running high rpms, we surmised then it was a heat related failure. Could simply be a coincidence though

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Seen it before but never did it, put too much force to one side of the wrench. kinda like tapping with a adjustable wrench on a tap, the tap can snap pretty easy if not careful. At least you got the threaded portion out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.