Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one thing I'm asked more often than anything else is how to post pics... so I thought it might be a good idea to post a picture posting tutorial! I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from asking individually, I love to help... but this might give people a head start and anyone that comes across it on their own might benefit...

First, let me preface this by saying as with ANYTHING on a computer, there are a million different ways to do ANYTHING, and this is but one way that I find simple, works, and it's what I use, so it's easy for me to pass along. Anyone that has a tip or trick to add is NOT insulting me, and I'm going to limit this to the basics only...

This tutorial, while simple, assumes some basic understandings of copying, pasting and uploading, but if you've gotten this far, you should probably be able to follow it!

POSTING PICS YOU HAVE ON YOUR COMPUTER

The way to post a picture in a message is to paste an IMG code into it… So you need to have a photo hosting account that generates an IMG code for you. That's no where NEAR as complicated as it sounds! There are several sites out there that you can use, I use Photobucket and the images I used to create this tutorial are Photobucket specific, most should be somewhat similar.

Open a Photobucket account, and prepare to upload a picture... BEFORE uploading, you must select the size you want your uploaded picture to be. I most often use size LARGE, which seems to appear on this site at a reasonable size, like all the pictures below. Here’s where you find that option:

Once you have uploaded your picture, you will need to copy the IMG code. There should be four options available to you under the picture; email and IM, Direct link, IMG Code, and Web site. If those codes doesn't show under your picture, they probably will if you “mouse-over” the picture.

Now, you need to “copy and paste” that IMG code into your message on the forum. Depending quite a bit on the OS and browser you use (I use any combination of Vista, XP and W2K Pro with Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox depending on what system I’m on), any number of things can happen next: You SHOULD be able to just click on the IMG code, and the word “Copied” will appear briefly on the screen.

This is the code you are looking for:

If the "IMG Code" isn't displayed on the screen and only appears when you mouse-over the picture you can change that option by clicking on "Link Options", check putting check in the appropriate box:

This first:

Then this:

Put a check in the box beside "IMG Full Size". By doing that, the IMG code will always be there visible for you. You can see I also put a check in the box for “Direct link”, that’s for use on another web site that I post pictures on.

That should allow you to go to your BTK message, and right-click in it and then click “Paste”. The following will appear in your message:

If it doesn’t paste, and it DOESN’T paste for me when I’m using Vista, then you just have to highlight ALL of the IMG code, right-click, copy, and then paste it into your BTK message. Either way, no matter what, you need to end up with a string that starts with “[IMG” and ends with the last square bracket – “]”. None of those brackets, or the code in between can be missing.

That code can be inserted before, in the middle of, or after your text, and that’s where your picture will appear, but NOT UNTIL after you post the message! You can always double check to see what your post is going to look like, by clicking on “Preview Post’. If the Preview Post option isn’t there, you just need click on “Go Advanced” first.

Now, when you’re done with your message, just click on Post Quick Reply, or Submit Reply as you normally would!

OCCASIONAL PROBLEMS:

On some occasions, the picture won’t post, and instead the “[IMG…” string shows up instead. This is just a glitch that I’ve found you can fix by “editing” your post, clicking on “Go Advanced”, then “Preview Changes”, even though you didn’t actually make any changes. Then “Save Changes”, and the post and picture are posted normally.

Pictures that you remember posting in a thread can sometimes disappear! You go back to see a particularly good picture you posted and it’s not there… instead you see the message “This photo has been removed” with a Photobucket logo. That’s because you moved it on your Photobucket page. Once you start uploading a lot of pictures, you may be tempted to organize them… but if you do, the link to that post will be broken, and the picture will no longer appear. Remember that you are creating a LINK, not actually posting the picture, and if the link changes in any way, it will no longer work.

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 2: Posting from the Web

POSTING PICTURES FROM THE WEB

Let’s say someone starts a thread about VW coming out with a new bike, and when you see it you think it looks like a Suzuki B-King. You want to include a picture of both just to ask opinions or for a visual of what you mean. You could either download the picture, save it, upload it to Photobucket, and copy and paste the IMG code, or do it the easy way!

When you find the picture on the web that you’d like to include in a post, just right-click it, then click on properties.
The following window will open if you are using Internet Explorer:

This is what the window will look like if you are using Mozilla Firefox:

Highlight ALL of the text under "Addess (URL)" in Internet Explorer, or “Location” or “Alternate Text” in Firefox, which SHOULD end with .JPG or .GIF… some type of picture format. When that’s all highlighted, click on “Copy”.

Now, back in your BTK post, click on the “Insert Image” little picture at the top of the post window:

When the “Insert Image” dialog box opens, paste that string into the window, and click “OK”.

This is what the box that opens will look like if you are using Internet Explorer:

This is what it looks like if you are using Firefox:

Once you click OK, Voila! Your IMG code is now inserted in your post!

NOTE

Some people have reported that sometimes picture files posted that way do not open at their end… it’s nothing you’ve done wrong, and I don’t know of any fixes for that… could be due to firewalls or security settings at the viewer’s end. Just know that sometimes you might be asked why there is no picture there.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
hey thanks jeff, as I am scared to have tried this, it seems the more you use it the better you will get use to it

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 3: Screen Shots

So now you might be wondering... HOW THE HELL DID HE POST ALL THESE PICTURES?! (I've gotten that once or twice!)

That's easier than you'd think...

No matter what screen you happen to be looking at AT ANY TIME, you can press and hold the "Alt" button on your keyboard, then press the "Print Screen", or "PrtScn" button.

Now, open MSPaint, your paint program, and click "Edit", then "Paste". That will paste the image that you were just looking at into an editable Paint program... you can crop it, draw arrows on it (like I did), then save it as a picture (jpg), and once you've done that it becomes a picture like any other...

Now just upload it to Photobucket and post it like you would any other picture!

HAVE FUN, HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE!

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks jeff, as I am scared to have tried this, it seems the more you use it the better you will get use to it
Hey Steve! WOW, that was fast, snuck in a post on this already! Great to see you on here so much again... Glad to see it might help!

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good job Jeff, thank you for the work. I say this thread deserves to be a Sticky.
No prob! Not only does everyone like to see the pics of new member's bikes, it's also the FIRST thing everyone asks for, just at the point when you're NEW and don't know how to do it! Not just that though, it helps a lot with troubleshooting, and how-to's... :biggrin:

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW... I get a sticky?! And for PICTURES??? I'd have thought the TICKING would have gotten one before this! It's more... HISTORICAL! (you guys are gonna miss it more than me when it's gone...) :tongue:

·
Keeper of Donkey
13,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Making the pic smaller...
Ray... as you can see, the pic didn't get smaller!

There are two ways to do that... you have to choose the size you want to upload BEFORE you upload it, or you can shrink the picture and save it, before copying and pasting the link.

In Photobucket, click on the picture you want to shrink, then click Edit:

Then click on resize, and choose the size you want from the drop down list:

Then click on "Replace Original" and it won't break any of the links that you currently have to the pictures you already have posted... Or "Save a Copy" if you don't want to permanently change the size of the original.

KEEP IN MIND, that if you "Save a Copy", you are going to have to replace the link in your post with the link that is created by your new picture!

1 - 20 of 136 Posts