Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not that anyone here should be impressed or even care, but i just felt like sharing. i'm going to register it on monday. i'm going to take the rest of the pink stripes off it soon. anyone know where i could order just the muffler online? (too loud, i think i just need a new one) i love it and love riding so far. (2 days now) ive taken it about 5 min from my house so far and am doing ok so far. i was thinking about taking all the plastic off it this winter and having a body shop paint it for me. mazda black mica. 16w. how much will this run me? i am already planning to get something a little newer (maybe bigger) at the beginning of next summer.

rest of the pics: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286573805&congratulation_page=Y

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Cool, well I don't even have abike, but congrats on your bike, and If you haven't allready taken the MSF course, take it. The info it gives you could very well save your life, and your bike (Cha-ching). Anyway, Welcome to the forums, and ride safe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i sold that bike after the summer ended. 2 years later i got a new bike.
still haven't got my liscence. (test on the 25th)
anyone have any tips on passing the dmv road test in nj?
anyone that can clue me in to a site that lists the eaxct test course dimensions? (i.e. how many feet between cones?)

(with me on it earlier today)

·
Registered
619 Posts
That's a ZX6E you are sitting on. It' not a ZX6R. No offence. At the DMV watch out for the test where you have to do quick stops and the one where race, slow down and take a turn. If you keep your speed within 12-20 mph you are safe. And don't worry about doing the '8'. Even if you set your foot down it's only 3 points or so. The worst thing you can do is going out the yellow line when you are turning or anticipating or overshooting the quick stop. That'll get ya more points than anything. Good Luck with your test.
BTW are you going to take the test in the ZX6? I would suggest taking a MSF course (free or inexpensive) and most states offer it. They supply your bikes and the tests are much more relaxed than taking it at the DMV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zx6e, huh? ha ha. cool these terms really dont mean much to me. what are the differences between the two?
i plan to take the test on friend's old 450cc honda from 1977. it's a bunch smaller and easier to turn at slow speeds. i have thought about the msf course though. sounds way easier.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Good deal!! It's better to take the test on a smaller bike.

There are a lot of differences between the ZX6E and ZX6R. The bikes are different cosmetically for starters. The E versions are sport tourers and the R versions are supersport bikes....meaning the seating position is more aggresive on the R and the wheelbase is atleast 20mm shorter. The seating height is about 35mm higher on the R. The R version is also about 40 pounds lighter than the E. The brakes on the R are designed give more stopping power. The transmission is also different. The front forks on the R can be adjusted for the rider's weight. I think you can do this on the E too but the R has more adjustments. Same with back shock absorbers. One other thing about the engine is that compression ratio on the R is lower than E. Also the R has a bigger bore engine, so it sweeps the same volume with a shorter stroke. It's not that the ZX6E is a bad bike or anything but the two versions are made for totally different applications. While the E versions are very comfortable on long rides and the streets the R versions are great for the track! Hope that helps. Cheers and have fun with your new bike. Ride safe and don't forget the gear.

·
Registered
232 Posts
msf class will save your life

and what was said about it being easier than the dmv is right alot easier plus i got to take the test on a bike which they had a 250 reble so easy to handle i almost wanted to buy one just to fart around

i was new to rideing and i have used the skill i picked up in that class alot plus i went from not knowing how to ride to having my license in less then a week and no wrecks yet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info and i looked it up on my own as well.
i was almost dissapointed for a second there until i realized that i will probably never see a track with me on a bike.
i like attempting to ride fast, but will probably appreciate the comfort. i don't like the seating position that my ex500 and this bike has a blance i suppose between that and a zx6r.
what i mainly wanted was a sportier apperance and a 4 cyl engine.

·
what?? track day?!?! =D
537 Posts
Here in Cali the hardest part is the circle...No foot down.
Thats for **** sure, but you cant put your foot down anytime or else its a fail. When I took mine though, the guy told me I could have one "practice run through" if I needed it, but it was no biggy cause I too borrowed my friends older honda and took it on that. Get the easiest and smallest bike possible if you plan on taking it at the dmv.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats on the new bike . I had a 93 ZX6 two bikes ago and it was a fantastic ride. It fits the bill between sport bike and tourer. I did several trips on mine and never felt sore in any way. I had a single seat made for it which was great for a quick solo ride on the weekends. ENJOY !

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nice Nice....very nice

Very Nice Ride. I think a smaller bike for the test is a great Idea. Ervins is right the circle seems to be the most picarious. Im in Cali too and when I took the test I wound out throught the gears and was going so fast I had to toss it sideways to stop. I thought sure they would fail me. I guess being a girl helped. He let me pass. I was stoked!:shock:
Have fun and score some cool gear to go with!
Peace

·
Thanks to all Veterans!!!
16,933 Posts
Nice, bike. As others here have said, I'd recommend taking the MSF course--even if you get your liscence through the DMV!! You will learn lots of skills that you can take with you and learn how to handle some of the most dangerous situations as safely as possible.

Good luck and ride safe!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts