Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there any polishes or something else that will keep my new pipes from bluing? I just ordered a V&H for my 78 KZ 1000.

·
Registered
303 Posts
custom chrome sells a kit that works on brand new pipes, it's a coating that goes on the inside of the pipe.
I have done it a few times, it does not prevent blueing, it seems to detur it for a while. what we do at my shop if some one hates pipes blueing, we send them to young guns racing in california to have them ceramic coated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If Pipes Do Blue...

There are those that claim spraying a quality high-temp with ceramic paint inside the pipes will offer some prevention, as stated before. However, I have not had the opportunity to test, so take it for what it's worth.

On the other hand, if your pipes do blue up, there is a remedie. When I bought my KZ1000, my pipes were significantly blued. I used some Mothers Aluminum polish and good'ol elbow grease. Applied generously and rubbed. The blue came right off, leaving my pipes highly polished and rather new-looking. Plan on spending about 25 minutes per pipe, maybe less if you catch it as it occurs. Really worked wonders on my pipes!

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
+1 on blue away. Bought some many years ago after first getting my bike and it worked pretty well. It does take some elbow grease but it will get the blue off. Wasn't sure if they still made it or not.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
The custom chopper shop in my town wraps the pips with some kind of fabric to give it a custom look and to cover up the blue pipes. I'm not a fan of it but I guess it's an option.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Bluing means your bike is running lean, just like the factory intended it to.

I wrapped my exhaust, had the carbs synched. I unwrapped the pipes yesterday, 3000 miles, not a hint of bluing, and my spark plugs are fine.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The custom chopper shop in my town wraps the pips with some kind of fabric to give it a custom look and to cover up the blue pipes. I'm not a fan of it but I guess it's an option.

you gotta be a little careful with the headerwrap, I have seen it crack pipes before, since it traps the heat in, and makes a the pipes get much hotter vs. them in the open. I like the way it looks, and I have installed it on a few bikes for customer (it's a PITA to install btw). I have seen it in black and white, but you can paint it with hitemp paint

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Blue is purty! My pipes are black any way. Now if they glow in the dark I'd be looking to rejet or somehow get a richer fuel mixture.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts