Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, added this to another thread by mistake. Was supposed to be a new topic...

Hi all,

Well, I finally finished (for now) my performance mods on the 800B. I have a Dragon II air kit w/ K&N filter from Sherm's Cycle Products, new jetting, and the V&H Straightshots. The guys at Sherm's were great, and very helpful with my problem-plagued install (so was woodchuck, thanks man!).

First it wouldn't start, which turned out to be my fault on setting the pilot air screw. Then it was backfiring and blowing some smoke, which turned out to be a combination of a misaligned float and the idle set too low. In the process of trying to start it a bunch of times with too much fuel, I fouled the plugs something awful so those were replaced with NGF CR6E's, one step hotter than the stock 7E's. Now things are copacetic and I'm quite pleased with the extra power. Pics to follow once the rain lets up and I have an opportunity to polish her up.

I was thinking of doing a blow-by-blow post for the air box and carb jet install for the 800. Do you think this would be useful? I'm no wrench by any stretch but I managed so maybe with directions others could do the same?

Also, my local shop (not Sherms) says that 99% of the time they can get more hp out of dyno-ing a bike. I chose my jets based on all the advice from you wonderfully helpful riders, and bought them direct instead of getting a kit. Would it still be beneficial (other than having hp and tq #s) to have these guys dyno the bike since I don't plan to change the jetting?

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
it would be nice to get dyno results on your mods, but without a baseline, there will be some unknowns about what extra performance you have. Having it dyno'd will also let them fully tune your bike to get the most out of your mods, it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Copy that. I figured the jets were dialed in so what else could they tune? maybe the idle speed, idle air mixture, and the needle setting I guess. I suspect we can at least ballpark what most stock 800B's are for comparison.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts