Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a set of exhaust pipes for a Classic 1500? I've got the V&H Longshots, which I like, but the rear section of one of the pipes is been pitted and is turning brown. I found a place to have it replated but it takes 3 weeks and the guy says it may not match the rest of the pipes so I'm considering the Straightshots.

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/detail.asp?product_id=v18381

Thanks in advance!
Randy

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i prefer the hard chrome stuff-really good quality and a bigger pipe :D

but pipes are very subjective as far as look and sound :wink:

·
Registered
837 Posts
ive got v&h straight shots on mine.i like them because you can buy diffrent tips to go on them.i got 3 diffrent styles of tips and have used 2 set so far....and for the sound..**** sure sounds good with or with out baffles in so i prefer v&h. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm new to the bike world and the one I have was bought new 3 years ago this month. I've had it three weeks.

I'm not sure when the V&H pipes were added but even if they were added on day-one I would have expected them to last longer than this. The brown'ish area on the one pipe is starting to become more noticeable. Could the brown be showing because the pipes are getting old or could there be something else? The bike is the Fi model so I'll venture a guess here and say that it should take care of the air\fuel mixture. The brown color might be a result of something the previous owner did and ruined the chrome in the process. I dunno.....

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

its prolly just the quality of the plating-v&h have a rep for bluing,not all of them just certain batches-that's why i started leaning towards hard chrome,they are more pricey but i like
the quality better-there's nothing wrong with vance though - they are good pipes

·
Registered
837 Posts
its very possible it was something the previous owner did as it is brown instead of blue.a tennis shoe mark gets brown and is very hard to get all off....oh well..... :?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bud8fan said:
its very possible it was something the previous owner did as it is brown instead of blue.a tennis shoe mark gets brown and is very hard to get all off....oh well..... :?
It's brown alright... but it doesn't look like a stain and I can't feel any residue on the pipe. Since it's directly under the passenger foot peg I was thinking the same thing about the shoe. I figured he tried to remove a melted shoe and screwed up the chrome. The rest of the pipes are perfect. I'm willing to take a chance on having a chrom shop take a shot at repairing the top pipe, but with the weather here in the south being in the 70's right now I sure don't want to have it down for 3 weeks. That's how long he says he will need the pipe. :cry:

Thanks!

·
Registered
837 Posts
:evil: ****...3 weeks..with good weather...what does he think you are a hermit or something :lol: least you got good weather there...we just got flooded out...again...made the news and everything...water everywhere..and now the good weather comes...**** the luck..cant get a break around here :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree with bikeaholic Hardchrome's are an excellant choice, great quality and guarenteed not to blue.

·
Registered
837 Posts
i saw on tv the other day the way hard chrome makes their pipes...pipe inside of a pipe..looked pretty neat 8)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bud8fan said:
:evil: ****...3 weeks..with good weather...what does he think you are a hermit or something :lol: least you got good weather there...we just got flooded out...again...made the news and everything...water everywhere..and now the good weather comes...**** the luck..cant get a break around here :)
I had heard Texas got hammered with more rain. I lived in and near San Antonio all my life until I moved to Louisiana but still have family and friends there. Wish I could return with my bike and do some riding in the hill country north of SA before the season of hell starts. Got a friend there who says riding is like sitting in front of the oven with a fan blowing in your face.

I like the look of the Longshots, but the brownish thing seems to be pretty common with those so I am considering Hard Krome as replacements. Expensive but they should be the last ones if they are as good as I've heard.

Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
Texun said:
bud8fan said:
I had heard Texas got hammered with more rain. I lived in and near San Antonio all my life until I moved to Louisiana but still have family and friends there. Wish I could return with my bike and do some riding in the hill country north of SA before the season of hell starts. Got a friend there who says riding is like sitting in front of the oven with a fan blowing in your face.

I like the look of the Longshots, but the brownish thing seems to be pretty common with those so I am considering Hard Krome as replacements. Expensive but they should be the last ones if they are as good as I've heard.

Thanks

texun,i just got back today from the orielly nationals in houston and got to go around and see some of the distruction. baseball size hail hit only the north side of town...i live on a ranch on the south side of town..only received pee size hail w/ no damage to my property but a friend of mine in town had $33,000.00 damage to his house and vehicles...it is bad all over the north of town....business's...cars...houses...animals.water standing everywhere . but they are all gettin everything back to life as usuall around here.on top of the hail..we had another 5 to 6 inches of rain that we didnt need....it wiped out my bridge over the creek to my ranch on the east side of town...cant get in to check everything out ..so dont know how it goes out there yet again as this is the 3rd time this has happen since the flood we had in october....you dont want none of this stuff going on down here....last time we had it this bad...we had a bad hurricane season as well because everything was soaked already and any amount of rain would just run off and cause another flood . ohh well anyway it sure felt good to get away for 4 days and wake up to the smell of nitro and burnin rubber in the mornings.**** ..didnt want to leave...had such a good time up there this weekend.me and 2 friends rode our bikes up there...there was 100 bikes there if there was 1.all parked in the front of the main gate..**** ...we sure had a good time...later dude.
bud 8.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts