Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's fairly common knowledge on this board that changing the pipe or intake alone on a bike doesn't require a change to the fuel computer. Does this imply that just changing one of the pair doesn't yield any significant performance change?

Sure, exhaust alone can change the sound and changing either can add bling. But, unless you change both, is it just cosmetic?

·
*NRA*
282 Posts
--If all you do is debaffle yer stockers, yea ya get more noise but loose a little HP 'cause of the increase in back pressure..

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Easy answer: More air in, more air out!

Just adding one or the other may add some gains, but for the most part, not much.

Just pipes might add a bit of throttle response, and let exhaust flow out better, but it's still only taking air in at the same rate. Eliminating the Cat helps some, but any gains are minimal at best.

Same goes for intakes (just in reverse). You can take in more air, but your still only able to move it back out at the stock rate. You gain a little on bikes like the 1500's where the intake is plugged up a good bit, therefore your flowing in better. But if you can't exhaust it faster, your not gaining a whole lot.

The combination of the two though.... now your getting somewhere.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ask because, like my 900, I think that the air intake on the V2K is, well... ugly. There, I said it. Nyahh!

I've also got a rule right now that says the money I'm spending on the bike will be first spent on safety & comfort. Function before form. The lightbar I purchased today, the windshield I just screwed on, and the highway peg mounts all fit into these areas.

Replacing the ugly air intake, I told myself, had to wait until the practical stuff was done. And then I look again at my intake and the back of my brain whispers, "ugly"... And then I look at the pic of the RH two-into-ones on my wall and say, "Pretty!"

Function before form, useful before blingage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts