Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Camshaft, rocker arms were destroyed dut to lack of oil. Repaired. Pulled jug to clean out shavings in engine. I checked bore it was ok, piston ok. Rings looked good. Can i re-use old rings ,will they seal. Or should i just install new rings. STandard size?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Don't reuse the old rings. They are already surface worn into the old bore, plus they've already been heat treated once so they're not far off from losing their spring tension.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
:)yeap just bye sum new ones they are cheap and just have the cylinder honed for a good seal and break in of the new rings.just make sure you get the spec for the ring end gaps and index them correctly-corey-

·
Registered
628 Posts
You know, when I put my Prairie 400 back together I ordered a high compression piston. I sent the cylinder off to be bored, I packed up the whole thing so that the machine shop could endgap the rings for me. The guy said he checked them and they were exactly in spec. I was really impressed but it also brings into stark contrast the quality assurance of new manufacturing processes. It's old wisdom to have a ring endgap grinder handy whenever you rebuild an engine because old engines NEEDED to have the ring endgap filed. These new engines (and replacement parts) are to such a degree of accuracy that it's almost unnecessary to bother checking endgap unless there is some problem while putting the engine together.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
good point but i dont always trust the manufactuers,they could have been made on a friday at 2:59:45 pm and quitin time is three lol.it never hurts to double check and make sure they are in spec:)-corey_

1 - 5 of 5 Posts