Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went on my first large ride last year...only about 2.5k but pretty good distance for me...all of wa states coast, oregons coast and part of CA, and then back home to seattle through the middle of Oregon and Wa.

Just did the first stage of planning for 08's ride...don't even have a date yet as that is all dependant on when I have enough time off from work to do the ride...This run clocks in right around 3.5k miles...so a tad more distance than this years :)

Thought I would post it here to see if anyone has done a similar ride...or just if anyone was interested in seeing what I have planned ;)

Locations are more for goal of hitting certain states than anything else at this point...havent dug deep enough to look at what I actually want to see besides for just going out for a long ride :)

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Interesting route there. I'd probably change up the southern part, but that's because I know that area best.

Sadly, I bought my Nomad with similiar intentions of setting out alone to parts unkown. But so far I haven't really done that type long distance trip (with long distance being defined as 2k+ over a week or two):frown:

·
Geek on Wheels
495 Posts
If I could suggest a little modification :)...
Cut south out of Salt Lake and get to Denver via Grand Junction/I70 instead of going through Wyoming. No offense, but the scenery going over the Rocky Mtns is much better going through CO :biggrin: Even though it's Interstate Highway driving, there are still plenty of twisties, and you get the option of taking the nation's highest road over the divide if you so desire :cool: Every time I've taken that route through WY I've ended up getting blown all over the road by semis and wind... I've taken a similar path through SD/ND/MT, and it's some great "open prairie" scenery. Make sure to take a camera!!

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Agree with demon on the Wyoming section. I've never crossed southern Wyoming without betting blown around, a lot. Some beautiful area, and roads, to be had between Salt Lake City and Jellystone. The west side of the Tetons are beautiful and less traveled than the Wyoming side.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
If you could figure a way to swing to southwest CO you would not regret it. The stellar highway running north-south from Montrose, CO over Red Mountain Pass to Durango, CO is breathtaking.

I'd head south from Denver and make the ride to the Royal Gourge then cruise to Gunnison and head south to Lake City and Creede. Then head west to Durango and back north to Montrose. That would put you back on course for the run back home... :wink:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
from what everyone is saying sounds like i might enjoy myself a little more if I hold off hitting Wyoming until the upper nw corner...hit Gillete or something before I head into ND...
How is Utah to ride through..maybe head on down through provo
--was just looking at 92 on google earth..looks like that would be a sweet ride

·
Geek on Wheels
495 Posts
I've taken I70 across on my trip from Denver to Vegas and it was great. I can only imagine the scenery across 92. Only thing I'd worry about is when you're going to take this trip. July - Aug can get pretty friggin hot across Utah.

·
Registered
283 Posts
ekseattle, assuming you want a scenic ride, general rule of thumb is avoid the interstates. I have spent years roaming around in the semi, so if you want some scenic routes, let me know.

Just as example: The Seattle to Yakima leg. I would head north to Everett, Hwy 2 east through Leavenworth, then 97 south to Ellensburg, 821 (old 97 through the canyon) to Yakima.

If you want more, just let me know.

Curt

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Curt, I might just hit ya up for that...the main thing I have to watch out for is balancing my time/cost with the scenery factor. I think if things were left like they are (which they wont be) I am sitting at about 8 or 9 comfortable days...(keeping it under 500 a day)

·
Registered
283 Posts
While most of your route is Interstate highway those interstates generally replaced older US routes. In many of the more scenic places you can parallel the interstate by a few miles and see some terrific places, then hop back on the big road to make time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts