Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...by telling me what gloves can handle sub 40 F temperatures.

Going to work and coming home yesterday I thought I was going to lose my fingertips to frostbite. :shock: It was really painful. Anyway, I started the day out with cotton liners inside a pair of FirstGear leather gauntlets. When that wasn't enough, I went to a local sporting goods store and picked up a nice pair of Polartec liners. Those were better, but still not enough to keep my hands from becoming painfully cold on my final 16-mile trek home last night.

I tried a pair of snowboard gloves the other day, but they were no better than the FirstGear with cotton liners and they were boarderline OK for controlling the bike. So, unless I can find something to keep my hands warm, I'm grounded. :cry:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I would check with the snow-mobiling set. They've probably got something that would fit the bill.
And electric grips, I hear the BMW riders rave about 'em.
Sorry I don't have any specific information, but I've been living in San Diego for a few years and have lost touch with winter.
Good luck.
-CCinC

·
Registered
305 Posts
I too have been having this problem. It's hard to tell if a glove will work because it's not like you can go to the store and properly try them out without buying them first. the two options i have been thinking of are a pair of leather riding gloves with thinsulate insulation, or a pair of windproof snowboarding gloves. i figure if they are good enough for the snow and wind of skiing/snowboarding, then it'll probably work on my bike.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Toby,

I have been having the same problem here also......I am a hunter as well as a motorcycle momma....I just bought a pair of gloves that are waterproof, thinsulate lined....good spread on the fingers (especially trigger finger :D ) I will try them out tomorrow and see how they work. I bought them in the hunting section at Walmart for $18.99

I also have a windshield coming that will cover the handlebars and lower body...that was my Christmas present from Mack.

It is supposed to be sunny and cold for the rest of the week. I hope to get a couple days ride in before that rain comes back again.

Heather

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just bought a pair of gloves that are waterproof, thinsulate lined
That's something else i don't really get. alot of riding gloves say they are waterproof...but does that automatically make them windproof also? in my situation i could care less about waterproof, because i don't ride in the rain, i just need them to keep the outside air out.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Toby,

I will let you know tomorrow evening after my ride. I don't have my windshield yet, so its going to be windy.

Heather

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
gloves

you guys are on the right track. chris mentioned snowmobiling gloves, which i consider the best to use. being windproof is really the most important part seeing as, unless you have a large shield, your hands catch a lot of wind. toby, i am not sure if waterproof also means windproof. in my experience both would be listed seperately, but i could be wrong. i went to a snowmobile store and bought a pair of yamaha gloves with a removable fleece liner. they seem to work great for me in norma, say above 20 degrees, riding weather. i would think snowboarding/skiing gloves would work alright, expecially since most of the newer ones have large gaunlets to go over your jacket. good luck, watch that frostbite !

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Neo said:
...by telling me what gloves can handle sub 40 F temperatures.

Going to work and coming home yesterday I thought I was going to lose my fingertips to frostbite. :shock: It was really painful. Anyway, I started the day out with cotton liners inside a pair of FirstGear leather gauntlets. When that wasn't enough, I went to a local sporting goods store and picked up a nice pair of Polartec liners. Those were better, but still not enough to keep my hands from becoming painfully cold on my final 16-mile trek home last night.

I tried a pair of snowboard gloves the other day, but they were no better than the FirstGear with cotton liners and they were boarderline OK for controlling the bike. So, unless I can find something to keep my hands warm, I'm grounded. :cry:
Believe it or not....some of the guys on the VROC site use these for winter riding:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=155338

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
funny you should mention those. i purchased a pair when i had the magna, just for that reason. i made a small hole in each where i could thread the mirrors through. actually worked out pretty good. i ended up riding until december 17th that year. by that point i had slid three times on the ice, i felt that was enough ! btw, i don't need them anymore and i was thinking about putting them on ebay, unless someone has an interest and wants to make an offer ! worth a shot right ?! hehe

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I ordered some silk liners to wear under my gloves, but I haven't tried them yet. My MSF instructor swears by them.

What about the windguards that fit over your grips? My husband has those on his bike, and he says they make a huge difference.

And then there's always heated grips...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I am leaning towards a pair of Widder heated gloves, but hadn't thought of the grip wind deflectors like those used by dirt bikes and snowmobiles. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they make a noticeable difference? Many thanks!

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Neo said:
hadn't thought of the grip wind deflectors like those used by dirt bikes and snowmobiles. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they make a noticeable difference? Many thanks!
My husband's had them on both his bikes. He swears they make a huge difference. Makes sense, when you think about it.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Greetings everyone. I have been out riding with my new gaunlet riding gloves. I bought them in the sports section at Walmart for 19.00. They are very warm, wind and water proof. They are made for Ducks Unlimited and are camo color :). Doesn't look bad with black leather.

Heather

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the jury's in...yesterday I ordered a pair of Widder 'Lectric gloves. I wanted to get their System2 vest as well, but with some other anticipated expenses I decided to just get the gloves for now. They'll be here Tuesday and then I should have no trouble riding through the rest of the cold season. Woo hoo! :grin:

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Neo,

Where did you order them from ???? let us all in on the secret :razz:

Heather

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kyhick1 said:
Where did you order them from ???? let us all in on the secret
I'd be happy to, but it wasn't through Beartooth. Since the moderators have always shown courtesy to Beartooth by not advertising another company, I'll do the same. However, I will say that the price was good and shipping was free. If you want to know where I got them, just PM me. (Heather, I'll PM you with the info shortly.)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the Widder gloves came this past Tuesday...but they were too big! I usually wear a M and the website said these gloves run a size larger than standard. So, I ordered a S. They weren't small enough. The retailer knows that sizing can be a problem with Widder gear and has no problem with exchanges. So, I sent them back and should receive a pair of XS next week. Rats! Another whole week of beautiful weather down the tubes due to morning temps well below my limit of 40º F. Oh well, at least I don't live in the Great White North where I suspect riding season is over for several months due to snow and really frigid temperatures.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Neo,

Oh well...it least they have good customer service. Weather has been good here, but below 20deg some mornings.

Hang in there..they will come and you WILL be able to ride.

Heather

1 - 20 of 20 Posts