Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I hope someone can help. I bought an old bike and these carbs came with it, but separate. I was told they probably came off of a Kawasaki, but not sure. I've seen a million discussions where people have the same discussion--only Mikuni Kyogyo Japan is stamped on each one. There is a tiny 120 with a 2 underneath stamped on the plate on the side. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I would like to identify these. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi,
I hope someone can help. I bought an old bike and these carbs came with it, but separate. I was told they probably came off of a Kawasaki, but not sure. I've seen a million discussions where people have the same discussion--only Mikuni Kyogyo Japan is stamped on each one. There is a tiny 120 with a 2 underneath stamped on the plate on the side. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I would like to identify these. Thanks for any help!
look like 28mm pumpers to me....measure the inside diameter on the engine side....that will tell you without a doubt what size they are....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey...thanks for the replies. I just went and bought a digital caliper to find out. Is it possible for them to be 29mm? I'm measuring on the very edge of the inside diameter. I hope I'm doing it right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jeff,
If they were 29's, do you know what the measurement would be? Since there are no markings, it is hard to decide 28 or 29 by looking at the outside. Are there any other characteristics?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks Jeff,
If they were 29's, do you know what the measurement would be? Since there are no markings, it is hard to decide 28 or 29 by looking at the outside. Are there any other characteristics?

those are not 29s...29s dont have overflow teats on the bowls,pumper circuits or side drain screws on bowls.....29s have a 17mm bolt on the bottom
to access the main jet for quick changes at the track.....you did not hit the lottery.......:biggrin:

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
Another question,
Would the 28s fit a Honda CB 750? Or would it have to be 29s?
You would need to get some special carb holders/adapters (we can get these). The carb spacing is different between the Honda and Kawasaki racks.

The carbs you have are off a KZ1000. The accelerator pump is somewhat of a bandaid to work around EPA emission requirements. The needles on those carbs only have one clip slot - designed to be 'tamper-proof' in support of EPA requirements introduced in 1978. The stupid thing about the EPA requirements - they only require emissions standards to be checked at a set RPM - which means the accelerator pump isn't pumping... and then only required a simple polution check that Kawasaki worked around with reed valves in the valve cover diluting the exhaust gases (but not reducing the polution the bike puts out).

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
those are not 29s...29s have a 17mm bolt on the bottom
to access the main jet for quick changes at the track.....you did not hit the lottery.......:biggrin:
I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that there was an early model 29 that didn't have the nut in the bowl. Of course I don't know this to be a fact.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that there was an early model 29 that didn't have the nut in the bowl. Of course I don't know this to be a fact.
Yupper :wink: And there are also 28mm carbs that have the 17mm nut in da bowl,74 or 75 Z1s had them I believe.

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
That is true... fairly unusual to find a set like that.
Mikuni ran the VM29 design for a good number of years. The very early float bowls had brass drain screws angled outwards similar to the KZ900/1000 carbs. The next version used a 17mm hex head drain plug directly under the main jet. The later version also used a 17mm drain plug, but the castings were modified to have a provision for an accelerator pump. Some VM29's came from Mikuni with an accelerator pump (these too are very rare).

As mentioned in an earlier thread, none of the VM29 float bowls had an overflow spigot.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi,
those look very similar to the carbs on the early suz GS1000s.

also, check the sudco catalog, you can often identify carbs from their catalog, and buy individual carb parts.

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
They are similar to the GS carbs - but the GS carbs have a cable operated choke and are 26mm not 28mm.

These are off a KZ1000.

Specifically, they are off a KZ1000-B4 LTD model as they have dual fuel feeds. The 79/80 A, C, D & E models used a single fuel feed.

The 1000 LTD model kept the older style dual feed petcock as they retained the same tank design from 1977 thru 1980 - most of the other models went with a vacuum petcock (the Z1R had it's own unique petcock).

The accelerator pump says they are from a 79 or 80 model - and a USA version as that - the Canadian version didn't have the accelerator pump.
The 79 LTD used 26mm carbs, the 80 used 28mm carbs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.