Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all im havin a terrible time with an 86' klf300 4x2 i just bought. I just got the manual and have run through everything. timings good, valves, carb, wiring, stator, pickup coil... all are good or replaced. im running into trouble now with a bad cdi box and if youve had to replace one you know they aint cheap. i have heard a couple people mention converting an old truck ignition system over to help lighten the financial blow a bit. if anyone has had experience with this can you point me in the right direction about what part to ask for or what year and model of truck it comes from. Thank you all very much.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
dont go that way you will cut the wireing all to heck and a slim chance of it workin ,for long anyways,ebay search,or find a atv bone yard on google search you may find one out there,

whats goin on with your bayou stallin hard start no start no spark ,what color is the spark if you have spark,

i have a extra cdi box for a 250 mojave but i dont think itll work for the 300 i will do some research and find out if itll work for you

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The CDI conversion you are describing is the adapting of a Ford CDI unit to work. There are a ton of web articles about this, just do a search and be sure you understand the wiring and make good notes when you try this or you will burn up other components in the process.

I do not recommend that conversion, as the Ford CDI unit takes more power than the Kawasaki normally generates, and can result in regulator failures and a burned out stator. It is sort of a penny wise, pound foolish solution. But, whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks y'all.

and to "86klf300guy" ...... no start or spark until i add a wired directly from the started to the battery then cross the terminals. (no comment on that one please), then im getting a pretty quick start but it doesnt last long i get a couple big back fires out of the exhaust and it shuts off. after that it normally gives me one more big backfire which has me lookin like "uncle buck"

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
all your powers and grounds in good shape and all connectors are clean and tight at the cdi and the starter solniod,may have a bad solniod, does the push button start work at all? you may have a bad kill switch also,or rubbed wires under the front top palstic piece under the head light,if you live near norwalk ohio id come help you figure it out for free being i used to own one about 6 months ago for 4 yrs i got the wireing down pat and all the isues they can have.been there done that a few times but i never repalced the cdi or stator or regulater,just thet starter soliniod and some connections and battery terminals

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i have no kill switch or starter button working. to start i cross battery terminals and to kill the bike i pop the spark plug button off. im stationed in south carolina right now so ohio is a bit of a drive for me, i truly appreciate the offer and the help though. i think im going to go ahead and shell out the extra bones for a replacement cdi box and go through all the wiring. at this point i feel like its just come down to an electrical problem. it might be a few weeks but i will let you know the outcome for sure. Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts