Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have a KX 250 that i just recently bought and when i went to change the oil the guy before me JB welded the Oil Drain plug to the bike. So i cant un screw the drain plug. My question is how can i change the oil?????

·
Gotta love the zx10
235 Posts
Another reason to inspect EVERYTHING when buying a used dirtbike... I had a ktm 125 that they rigged pretty bad.. cost way too much to repair things on it.

JB weld is tough.. and can you see the stuff around the bolt? or it is just so tight you cant take it off? if you see the goo then time get a kit. Sounds like he stripped it then just glued it in instead of retap the threads... possibly time for a new case. But if you dont see any goo then maybe you are turning it in the wrong direction?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I thought this required no response, but I was surprised at some of the answers. You may as well have told him to use a stick of dynamite and blow a hole in the motor.

I am not sure you can remove the JB weld easily, it can chip off or be ground, but if it plugs the hole you may not want to go there until the motor needs to be removed. Once removed you can decide to do things like drill and tap the bolt or the case. Drilling bolt not the best solution as chips may enter and never exit cause the bolt is raised some in the case.

Anyway, where the oil went in, it will come out. (Please tell me you dont need that explained in detail?) Also oil will exit trans breather hole.

You could also remove the clutch cover.

·
Registered
36 Posts
id try the cheap route first. id get a socket wrench and socket for the drian plug, then find a long bar to put on the socket wrench to use as leverage ( geting the bike good and warm before doing this might be a good idea). then if you manage to get it out, just buy slightly larger drain plug( or same size bolt with differnt thread count) and re-tap new threads. id try re-taping before replacing the cases. if that doesnt work someone else suggested pulling off the clutch cover that would be a easy solution too if your comfortable doing that everytime you change the oil. it sucks buying a lemon ive been there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts