Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im new to the board and im deciding on wether or not to purchase a 98 ZX6R... i wanted to see some more pics before i made my decision. Do you think $3000 w/ 10,000 miles is alot? Its my g/f's uncle thats selling the bike and the bike has been babied and has never been dropped. If any of you can post some pics of your green 98 ZX6R or give me some advise about the bike i would really appreciate it. THanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The bike is beautiful, rides great and very powerful. My best friend has one and I ride with him, and it is just amazing. Only bad thing is the comfort side of it. The bike isnt comfortable for long rides, but if you can handle the lack of comfort, then your GOOD TO GO!
Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
go to www.bikepics.com they have lots of pics of all different kinds of bikes. I have a 2001 ZX-6R and i think it is a great bike, but mine isnt to comfortable, it has an aftermarket seat/plank of wood though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I purchased my bike last year, it is a 1999 zx6r, its the same model as the 98. It had close to 10,000 miles and I payed $4000. $3000 is a very fair price for the bike. I would of course go a check it out, really look it over and give it a test ride or two before buying it.

I have only had some minor problems with my bike that were fixed quickly. It's acting weird now but I think it just needs a tune up.

I agree that it can be uncomfortable on longer rides, but I've found that the more I ride, the more I get used to it and it doesn't bother me as much. I also lowered my bike and for some reason it really changed the riding position into a much more comfortable one.

I'll try to get some pictures, mine is the black/purple mica color.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great! thanks for all your help!
SmCollege89: is there any difference between the 98 to 99 ZX6R's in any way? Also, whats the best place to buy aftermarket parts? Like i said im new to all of this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
To my knowledge there is maybe only slight differences with some engine numbers. My service manual is for both the 98 and 99 models. The 98 is a H model, and the 99 is a G model. The pictures of the bikes look the same, and the stats were the same except for a very slight change between maximum horsepower and other engine numbers.

Whenever I am buying parts, the parts are always titled 98-99. So I believe the bikes are almost completely the same. 2000 bikes are very similiar as well, except the front end design has changed somewhat and other slight changes.

Does beartooth have a catalog or is it only phone orders?

·
Registered
59 Posts
SPAM!!!!! lol, please someone band this dude talking about toyota cars

back on topic, I have not rode one of the old 6's but from what I hear they are great bikes, some think that a 6 is to much for a first bike but I've also heard that the pre 2000 bikes are a little more forgiving then the newer ones, so you might want to test drive it and make sure its not gonna scare you away from riding.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Why this one thread I wonder? What makes it such a juicy target? :|

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
From what I know there are very few subtle differences between the '98 and '99 model, with more significant changes coming in the '00-'02 model (mostly to do with shedding a few pounds and changing the nose from single to dual headlights), then in '03 it became the 636.

Here are some pics of my '99 model (the green one). Never had any major problems with mine, and I'd say the asking price is pretty fair. I paid around the same for mine last fall and it had about twice the mileage as yours and had been dropped causing some cosmetic damage. I say GO FOR IT! :smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts