Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning and Happy New Year to the Mule forum.... new time user here but looks like a pretty big knowledge base, so hope someone out there can help...... I have a (previously poorly maintained) year 2000, 2500 Mule.....
It has suddenly stopped engaging forward..... it goes into, and runs in reverse quite happily..... but won't engage forward gear.... if I reverse quite a while, specifically under load up hllls, it will then go in to forward but never from a standing start.... any ideas muchly appreciated
Cheers

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The usual problem is the shift cable is out of adjustment, or the nut on top of lever on the shift linkage where it goes into the transmission has come loose and the lever is about to fall off.

Worst case is that the dogs on the engagement gear or one of the mating gears have been knocked off. That happens when people shift them to neutral and go railing down a hill, then slam them back into gear at the bottom. Or, if shifting from forward to reverse is done on a roll without coming to a complete stop. When I see one damaged like that, I bill it out as a Stupidity Tax, and stick it to the owner.

Take a good look at the parts diagrams on Kawasaki.com. You want to look at the Gear Change Mechanism, and the Transmission. This is a case where a picture of the components will really help you understand the mechanism and how it shifts from forward to reverse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many Thx for the quick response....I did tighten up the nut on top of the lever on the shift linkage (it was loose) and hoped that would cure the problem...but unfortunately it seems to have got worse....

No recollection of having slammed it into gear at any time...aleays let revs die to idle before shifting.....

will check kawasaki.com... but in the meantime is there any other adjustment to the cable mechanism that I need to look at..... gearbox end perhaps?

thx again... cheerrs

·
Registered
442 Posts
Many Thx for the quick response....I did tighten up the nut on top of the lever on the shift linkage (it was loose) and hoped that would cure the problem...but unfortunately it seems to have got worse....

No recollection of having slammed it into gear at any time...aleays let revs die to idle before shifting.....

will check kawasaki.com... but in the meantime is there any other adjustment to the cable mechanism that I need to look at..... gearbox end perhaps?

thx again... cheerrs
First there are instructions for all the adjustments that you need. to get them you need to find a Kawasaki Repair manual for your specific Mule, Do a Google search for Kawasaki Mule repair manual If you plan to do any repairs or services to your mule get one!

Second do a search here for posts by RCW and save the ones you find useful to a document on your Word documents, and keep adding to it as RCW reveals his Knowledge, I don't think that what he posts here is copyrighted. Also every once in a while "just tell him THANKS!...

By the way RCW...Thanks from me...

... and another thing, patronize the sponser of this site.....They are providing a great service to us....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.